Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

1,000s of emails from one blocked sender-goes to junk; want to block totally!

Is there a way to not see/not receive emails from a sender (labled as BLOCKED/marked as junk) that now 2-10 emails appear in my junk folder every minute for the last 12 hrs? Prob from a computer bot/hacking program-from WETRANSFER which I do not use. Thanks in advance for any other solution!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 8, 2020 12:22 PM

Similar questions

10 replies

Nov 8, 2020 12:42 PM in response to Kurt Lang

hi- thank your your reply! I'm a tech newbie.. I do know I am behind a firewall, and use Wi-Fi/ DHCP but didn't see an area to initiate blocking. Do I have to worry about the continual barrage of emails from WeTransfer (that only send verification codes, no emails with clickable links to worry about yet)? I can delete them, but it is so time consuming and I worry about them taking up space?

Nov 8, 2020 1:00 PM in response to 26JI13MRMS17

Yes, you can just set up a rule to automatically delete them. Doesn't prevent them from coming in, but at least they'll get sent to sin bin without your having to do it.

The main trick is to not make the rule too generic. Such as, don't set up a rule to delete an email that repeats common words. That'll end up catching others you needed to get.

If they're all coming from the same domain, such as whatever@junkmail.com , make a rule to delete anything where the sender's address ends in @junkmail.com . If the from address keeps changing (very likely), then look for a unique phrase you see in every email, such as "blueberry cancer miracle pills". Make that a rule to delete any email that has that matching phrase in the text body.

Nov 8, 2020 2:03 PM in response to 26JI13MRMS17

Yes, you can setup a rule to always delete emails from noreply@wetransfer.com , or just @wetransfer.com .

This blocks them at your Mac, which still clogs up your local inbox or trash folder. What you really want to do is block them at the server so they never even get to your Mac, iPhone or iPad.

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-block-emails-on-icloud

Scroll down a bit to step 1 and follow it from there. You're basically doing the same thing as on your Mac, except you're blocking them at the mail server so they never reach your Mac.

Nov 12, 2020 1:53 PM in response to 26JI13MRMS17

As a follow up to my issue, I set up rules in my mail, but the best I could do was to have these spam emails automatically go into junk or trash folders. I reached out to the WeTransfer folk and they were very helpful. They had to block my email from their server although it seemed as though it was an automatic computer generated onslaught of the emails coming to my email account. I could not get my ISP (Cablevison/Optimum) to block the spam emails. After a day, I haven't received any more, so I'm hoping it is over. I am going to get a password manager to hopefully avoid other similar issues. Thank you again for your responsiveness and help!

Nov 12, 2020 3:16 PM in response to 26JI13MRMS17

Whew! At least the perpetrator was able to shut down their own problem.

I don't use Mail, so I wasn't sure how much control you would have on the server end. Sounds like it was no different that setting up the rule on your device. That is, you could send them straight to the trash folder, but you still had to deal with them.

That's the case for most users. You just don't have enough control over your own email account. For my small business, InMotion Hosting sets up the tools, but you pretty much have control over how mail is handled. Anything I don't want reaching our inboxes is automatically deleted, not just put in the trash folder.

1,000s of emails from one blocked sender-goes to junk; want to block totally!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.