How can I bulk-block disgusting spam emails?

I get vile and disgusting emails in my junk mail folder and the volume of them is getting much greater recently (in the past few weeks). I am using IOS 16.5 I have been doing the edit/select all/delete and then going to the trash and repeating edit/select all/delete from the trash to get rid of them, but frankly, it feels like shoveling snow in a snowstorm. In the past few days, I have started blocking the sender, but there seems to only be one way of doing this and it is to block individual emails and this is a time-consuming process, and I’m not sure it’s making a significant difference (does blocking even help? Or are spammers savvy in creating new sender names?) I have set advanced filters with specific wording for junk mail on my Mac per the advice in apple support, but again, this doesn’t seem to be helping either. If blocking DOES help and I’m just not seeing the results quite yet, it would be very helpful be able to allow blocking of multiple messages at the same time, and for individual blocking, it would be most helpful if the placement of the “block” in the bottom of the dropdown box could be moved up so that I didn’t have to add a step of scrolling down in the dropdown box to select “block.” Any help you can offer would be wonderful. I don’t like seeing these disgusting emails anywhere in my personal emails, even in junk or trash.

Posted on Jun 23, 2023 11:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2023 4:03 PM

Sadly, if your email address is being used as a target for spam, there is little that you can do to stop it; anyone that has your email address can send email to to. Instead you have to “manage” it…

First, be wary of any “unsubscribe” links that may be embedded in the email messages. For the most part, unless the unsolicited email is from a reputable advertiser, the unsubscribe link will not stop the messages. Instead, clicking the link will simply confirm to the spammer that the email address is monitored by a warm-blooded victim - and more spam and unwanted content is likely to come your way.

For unsolicited email, you can use the native blocking feature of iOS/iPadOS to automatically block/delete unwanted email from a sender - although this will only be effective for spam that arrives from a consistent email address:

Block phone numbers, contacts, and emails on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Where the spam email is using “spoofed” email sender addresses, your block-list will be ineffective.

The best advice is to avoid becoming a victim. Be careful where you use your email address to subscribe to services. Perhaps keep a secondary address just for this purpose - or, if you have updated to iOS/iPadOS15.1 or later, consider using Apple’s new Hide My Email facility:

What is Hide My Email? - Apple Support

Set up and use Hide My Email in iCloud+ on all your devices – Apple Support

Again, this new feature cannot stop everything, but is another way to reduce the likelihood of receiving and managing email and messaging spam. 

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2023 4:03 PM in response to mary pfromseattle

Sadly, if your email address is being used as a target for spam, there is little that you can do to stop it; anyone that has your email address can send email to to. Instead you have to “manage” it…

First, be wary of any “unsubscribe” links that may be embedded in the email messages. For the most part, unless the unsolicited email is from a reputable advertiser, the unsubscribe link will not stop the messages. Instead, clicking the link will simply confirm to the spammer that the email address is monitored by a warm-blooded victim - and more spam and unwanted content is likely to come your way.

For unsolicited email, you can use the native blocking feature of iOS/iPadOS to automatically block/delete unwanted email from a sender - although this will only be effective for spam that arrives from a consistent email address:

Block phone numbers, contacts, and emails on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Where the spam email is using “spoofed” email sender addresses, your block-list will be ineffective.

The best advice is to avoid becoming a victim. Be careful where you use your email address to subscribe to services. Perhaps keep a secondary address just for this purpose - or, if you have updated to iOS/iPadOS15.1 or later, consider using Apple’s new Hide My Email facility:

What is Hide My Email? - Apple Support

Set up and use Hide My Email in iCloud+ on all your devices – Apple Support

Again, this new feature cannot stop everything, but is another way to reduce the likelihood of receiving and managing email and messaging spam. 

How can I bulk-block disgusting spam emails?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.