Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are flagged emails disappearing from inbox and where do they go when the flag is deleted?

Hi,

1. When flagging an email I always leave them in my inbox so that I can follow up regularly. The last couple of days they have disappeared from the inbox and are only visible in the Flagged box. Now when I flag an email it too disappears from the inbox. Why? How do I stop this?
  2. Also, when I remove the flag the message disappears. I want to keep these messages for future reference, so where do they go? How do I retrieve them?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 9, 2020 12:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2020 12:14 AM

Have found the beast: Under the "View" tab is an item called "Enable Message Filter" - when ticked it automatically moves read messages from the inbox, leaving them in the individual email box [inside the Inbox folder]. I can only assume that this was enabled in an update - I simply had to "Disable Message Filter"

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2020 12:14 AM in response to Barney-15E

Have found the beast: Under the "View" tab is an item called "Enable Message Filter" - when ticked it automatically moves read messages from the inbox, leaving them in the individual email box [inside the Inbox folder]. I can only assume that this was enabled in an update - I simply had to "Disable Message Filter"

Nov 9, 2020 6:55 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks, the problem is limited to the inbox folder: once an email has been opened it stays there until I click on any other box or quit Mail. It is then visible in the individual email provider's box and Flag box if I have flagged it. So, not lost just (inconveniently) not in the inbox folder.

I can live with that, but would love someone to come up with a solution

Nov 21, 2020 10:52 PM in response to jazmec

Have just upgraded to Big SUR and it has changed my Mail preferences again. Now when I flag an email it disappears into the "Flagged" box. As I us my inboxes i.e. "All Boxes" I want to retain the messages with flags in there so that I constantly see them, rather than having to think, 'do I have any flagged mail', and then check.

Nov 9, 2020 3:59 PM in response to Barney-15E

Have tried rebuilding twice now and no change. Actually have three different email accounts: Optusnet (primary account); Exchange and iCloud. I normally view them all in "inbox" which is now only showing unread mail. If I go to the individual email accounts (sitting inside the "inbox") I can see the read, unread and flagged messages. So it appears the problem is with the "inbox" now only showing unread mail. A bit of a pain having to switch through the individual providers' and flagged boxes once a message has been read.

Why are flagged emails disappearing from inbox and where do they go when the flag is deleted?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.