Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wiping iPod classic and reinstalling

Hi, is there a way I can wipe all the music from my iPod classic and then reinstall from my iTunes with same songs? So it doesn’t affect my iTunes.

The reason I want to do this is on my iPod under genre I have songs of same genre eg rock split out into 5 separate lots and many more genres the same. I have tidied them up on my iTunes so that I have 1 for rock, 1 for disco etc. And want my iPod to be the same. Hoping someone can help

Posted on Nov 9, 2020 8:28 AM

5 replies

Nov 9, 2020 1:44 PM in response to carolinefromnorthampton

If the songs were synced from iTunes to the device then syncing again should update the metadata.

If you've been manually managing the device, and it only has a subset of your music you need to rebuild the playlist in iTunes. In some cases you may be able to export the content of the device as an XML playlist, then import that list to the library. If you run Windows you can also try my script ImportDevicePlaylists.

tt2

Wiping iPod classic and reinstalling

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.