Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my iPod classic will no longer sync with iTunes my PC anymore

My iPod classic will no longer synce with iTunes on my Windows 10 PC.

I want to revert back to an older version of iTunes, and not use the App (I don't need all the extra bells and whistles)

Is there a way to save all of my music (over 8,000 songs) unintsall the iTunes app, install the older version and then upload the music without having to input them all back cd by cd, which would take weeks.

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Feb 22, 2022 8:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2022 8:23 AM

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. When reinstalling right click on the downloaded setup file and use run as administrator. It may also help to temporarily disable any non-Microsoft anti-virus.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, or want to revert to an older version if the current one won't work properly for you at the moment. Links to the most recent builds are now at the bottom of the page.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2022 8:23 AM in response to mrspatty12

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. When reinstalling right click on the downloaded setup file and use run as administrator. It may also help to temporarily disable any non-Microsoft anti-virus.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, or want to revert to an older version if the current one won't work properly for you at the moment. Links to the most recent builds are now at the bottom of the page.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

Mar 2, 2022 4:03 PM in response to turingtest2

I appreciate the links - but reading those completely, it sounds like only the iTunes purchased music will be saved? 80% of my music is uploaded via CDs I've purchased. And I also remember reading somewhere that if the music has already been used by a newer iTunes, I can't save it to an older version, something about the new compression or something? I also read in there that back-up only works on Macs - because when I use the Backup feature in iTunes, it's a REALLY small file, which means it does NOT contain all my music. This issue has been going on long enough that my iPod is already missing almost 300 songs that my iTunes on my computer has. I have all the CD's but, like I said, that would take weeks (and probably burn out my CD player on my comptuer) to re-upload all of my music again.

Mar 2, 2022 7:08 PM in response to mrspatty12

I don't think there have been any changes to the format of the iTunes library since late 2018, which likely means you're free to switch of any build released since then. Uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes doesn't delete and music, but sometimes an older version may be incompatible with the current library. In some cases it is enough to install a version or two back to repair some feature, e.g. iPod detection, then you may be able to reinstall the current version and have it continue to work.

The iTunes backup feature is for iOS devices only, not iPod classic, and does not back up media. You should backup your iTunes library by copying the whole thing to another drive such that you are able to restore the whole, or part of it, at any later date. This is something that you do using Windows Explorer or a third party tool to manage incremental or delta backups.

tt2

my iPod classic will no longer sync with iTunes my PC anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.