Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to export video ready for Instagram

Hello, I am new to FCPX. I created my first cinematic video. However, I want to optimize it for Instagram.

All the research I did points to users creating a new project and selecting a custom resolution. However, I already have an enter project completed.

Can I export it as a master file and then imported into the newly created project with the Instagram custom resolution?

Can I simply export it as a master file and alter the resolution to fit Instagram?

What is best practice seen that I already have a rendered video.

Please help. Thank you in advance.

Rob

Posted on Nov 9, 2020 9:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2020 10:14 AM

You can change the frame size of the project: press Command-J to open the project Inspector, then click Modify, and choose the desired size. I don't use instagram, but I suppose you'd want to choose "Square" 1080x1080.

You can do the above after duplicating the project, to keep the original version intact.

Or you can create a new project in the desired size, and copy and paste from one project to another.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2020 10:14 AM in response to tobe1424

You can change the frame size of the project: press Command-J to open the project Inspector, then click Modify, and choose the desired size. I don't use instagram, but I suppose you'd want to choose "Square" 1080x1080.

You can do the above after duplicating the project, to keep the original version intact.

Or you can create a new project in the desired size, and copy and paste from one project to another.

Nov 9, 2020 11:27 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thank you for the input, Luis. You got it right with respect to the Instagram resolutions:

Based on research below are the optimal resolutions depending on what layout you need. Square, as you said, being the "standard".

Instagram: square - 1080x1080, portrait - 1080x1350, landscape 1200x673, instagram stories 900x1600

I just noticed that when I perform a "Duplicate as" of the project it takes me right to a screen where I can adjust the resolution. As suppose this is what you were referring in addition to the project inspector>modify window?

Thanks again.

Rob

How to export video ready for Instagram

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.