Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Exporting a 4k timeline into 1080p on FCP for Kajabi

Hi everyone,

I'm creating a course with Kajabi, which recommends that you upload videos as mp4 files.

I filmed my entire course in 4K, wanting to future proof the course, but not realizing that Kajabi recommends 1080p uploads and has a limit of 4GB per video. Some of the modules are 30+ minutes, which means that when I export them, they are well over Kajabi's 4GB limit. I have a few options and I'm not sure which are best.

1. I export them as 1080p. In this case, would I copy the 4K timeline into a 1080p timeline and then export? Or just export from the timeline directly but change the export settings to 1080p? I'm willing to do whichever option will cause the least amount of image loss.
  2. Export them in 4K, but compress them using Handbrake or Compressor. Again, I'm trying to avoid image quality loss, so I'm not sure if this is the right option either.

Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated!

iPhone XR, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 26, 2023 12:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2023 12:54 PM

A simple way would be to "Send to Compressor" from FCP's File menu and choose "Apple Devices HD (Best Quality)" then in Compressor's Video tab adjust the Bitrate setting to something smaller, like 2000 or 3000 kbps and check it's "Estimated file size" above in that same tab to see that it's less than 4GBs and export and see.

If this works, you can set up a preset destination in Compressor that you can use directly from FCP.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2023 12:54 PM in response to ipaintflowers

A simple way would be to "Send to Compressor" from FCP's File menu and choose "Apple Devices HD (Best Quality)" then in Compressor's Video tab adjust the Bitrate setting to something smaller, like 2000 or 3000 kbps and check it's "Estimated file size" above in that same tab to see that it's less than 4GBs and export and see.

If this works, you can set up a preset destination in Compressor that you can use directly from FCP.

Exporting a 4k timeline into 1080p on FCP for Kajabi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.