Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shared album doesn't show photos

Hi all,

I created a shared album containing 770 images a couple of hours ago, using Photos Version 5.0 (161.0.120) on my MacBook Pro. When I created the album, the application went through a process for a couple of minutes with the black timer clicking round to show that something was happening.

I invited one person to the album and he has received the invitation to join. When he tried to view the album, it says there are no photos there. Similarly, in my Photos application under 'Shared albums', the album is empty.

I might be being impatient, but surely there should be photos showing by now? I have iCloud Photo Library activated.

Thanks...

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 10, 2020 6:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2020 2:27 AM

Thanks both for the replies to this question. I've found the answer, so worth posting here to help others. I also have two outstanding questions.

It seems like two of the photo files had some kind of error/corruption. When you try to create a shared album using a batch of photos containing these two photos, the whole process fails. But there is no error message. A shared album is created, but it doesn't contain any photos.

I discovered this because I tried to create the album I wanted to share in a number of ways. The last method I tried was to manually add the photos to the shared album in small batches (say a dozen at a time). All the batches added to the shared album immediately, except for those containing the two corrupted files. When I tried to add those batches, I got an error message: "There was an error adding the selected items to 'shared album test'’". I was then able to isolate the corrupted files by adding one photo at a time (and only tow photos generated the error message)

My hyphothesis therefore is:

1. If a photo file is corrupted, it won't add to a shared album and causes all photos in the batch you are trying to add to fail
  2. If you try to do this by selecting all the required photos from the library (or from a non-shared album) and creating a shared album with these photos, the process fails but there is no error message.
  3. If you try to do this manually by selecting and then moving photos to the empty shared album, you do receive an error message when you try to add the corrupted photos (or the batch containing them).

My remaining concerns are:

1) How can you tell that a particular photo has a corruption/error? They behave as normal when viewed in the library or in an album (non-shared). The problem here is that

2) What kind of corruption would this be and how prevalent might it be (i.e. how many photos might experience this)?

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2020 2:27 AM in response to léonie

Thanks both for the replies to this question. I've found the answer, so worth posting here to help others. I also have two outstanding questions.

It seems like two of the photo files had some kind of error/corruption. When you try to create a shared album using a batch of photos containing these two photos, the whole process fails. But there is no error message. A shared album is created, but it doesn't contain any photos.

I discovered this because I tried to create the album I wanted to share in a number of ways. The last method I tried was to manually add the photos to the shared album in small batches (say a dozen at a time). All the batches added to the shared album immediately, except for those containing the two corrupted files. When I tried to add those batches, I got an error message: "There was an error adding the selected items to 'shared album test'’". I was then able to isolate the corrupted files by adding one photo at a time (and only tow photos generated the error message)

My hyphothesis therefore is:

1. If a photo file is corrupted, it won't add to a shared album and causes all photos in the batch you are trying to add to fail
  2. If you try to do this by selecting all the required photos from the library (or from a non-shared album) and creating a shared album with these photos, the process fails but there is no error message.
  3. If you try to do this manually by selecting and then moving photos to the empty shared album, you do receive an error message when you try to add the corrupted photos (or the batch containing them).

My remaining concerns are:

1) How can you tell that a particular photo has a corruption/error? They behave as normal when viewed in the library or in an album (non-shared). The problem here is that

2) What kind of corruption would this be and how prevalent might it be (i.e. how many photos might experience this)?

Nov 17, 2020 9:56 AM in response to Diamond Bloater

Hello Diamond Bloater.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you're experiencing issues with a shared album. Specifically, the person you invited to the shared album is not able to view any photos within the album. If this is the case, we'd like to look into this issue with you.

To start, please check out the following resource below:

How to share albums in Photos on your iPhone, iPad, and Mac

You'll see the first step listed does advise that you install any pending updates to your devices. You might also want to confirm if the person you invited to the shared album is fully updated as well. Is this the only shared album that is experiencing this specific issue? Also, if you restart all devices involved, does this issue continue to occur?

Feel free to keep us updated. Kind regards.

Nov 17, 2020 10:22 AM in response to Diamond Bloater

Shared albums do not use your paid cloud storage, and you do not need to enable iCloud Photos to use them- Shared albums are using a different, free cloud service, that has limits to the upload rate, because it is free. If you uploaded too many photos within a short time, you have to wait, until the hourly or daily upload limits no longer apply. iCloud: My Photo Stream and iCloud Photo Sharing limits

Nov 18, 2020 2:46 AM in response to Diamond Bloater

What is the file format of the photos causing the problem? Are the photos RAW files or JPEGs? Have they been copied into your library or are they referencing a file outside the library? Are the items videos?

You may want to test the photos that have been causing the problem by exporting them from your Photos Library with "File > Export > Export unmodified original". Then inspect them with Preview. Use the inspector in Preview to look at all detail (Tools > Inspector). perhaps you can see something suspicious.

Shared album doesn't show photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.