Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipod and ipad connectivity issues Catalina 10.15.7

I have a classic iPod running 1.1.3 Mac - previously when I plugged in the device it launched iTunes, now it behaves like a HD - with unrecognisable files. If I drag the iPod icon onto iTunes App it opens and I can see the list of songs, but I can't delete or add new songs. Is there a fix for This?

Also, my first addition iPad running OS 5.1.1 has the same issues as described for the iPod.

Any fixes or ideas that will enable adding and deleting items from either device when connected to the Mac would be helpful.

Thank you.

Posted on Nov 10, 2020 7:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2020 12:37 PM

For the iPod classic take a look at Corrupt iPod Classic - Apple Community. What are your HDD stats? It may be that your device needs restoring. There is the potential to recover some of the audio data from it if you don't have it all safely elsewhere.

In comparison to iTunes the new Music app and the device management features in Finder are less powerful than they were before. In Finder > Device there should be a Manage Storage button which you can use to find content to delete from the device. Adding content is done by dragging and dropping from the Music or TV apps to the device where it appears in the sidebar. In the long run it may pay to switch to syncing with one or more playlists in your library. This is generally a more powerful approach and makes it much easier to restore a device whenever the need arises.

tt2

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2020 12:37 PM in response to Memoire

For the iPod classic take a look at Corrupt iPod Classic - Apple Community. What are your HDD stats? It may be that your device needs restoring. There is the potential to recover some of the audio data from it if you don't have it all safely elsewhere.

In comparison to iTunes the new Music app and the device management features in Finder are less powerful than they were before. In Finder > Device there should be a Manage Storage button which you can use to find content to delete from the device. Adding content is done by dragging and dropping from the Music or TV apps to the device where it appears in the sidebar. In the long run it may pay to switch to syncing with one or more playlists in your library. This is generally a more powerful approach and makes it much easier to restore a device whenever the need arises.

tt2

Nov 18, 2020 3:35 AM in response to turingtest2

Thank you for the reply and the link turingtest2.

Previously, when I connected the classic iPod to the computer it opened iTunes, but recently it just mounted like an HD - files are visible but unrecognisable as mp3's.

Recently, I updated to OS 11.1 and after the iPod mounted on the desktop I dragged it onto the new 'Music' app. in the dock, which then opened. The iPod then showed under 'Devices' in the 'Music' app. It seems a bit unstable as it was ejected without reason a few times. But I will research how to manage. The various classifications of Books, Music, language lessons, folders are no longer shown.

I am unsure what was happening with Catalina later updates, but Big Sur, although sluggish, seems to load the iPod.

The first generation iPad doesn't mount on the desk top but is shown directly in Music. Unfortunately, no files are shown as the iPad only has videos. There is a drop down at the bottom of 'Music' app showing 'music' in red, I thought this would drop down for videos, but it doesn't.

I followed https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT210611 and could locate the iPad in a Finder sidebar window. It seems that there is only the ability to sync the content. Usually, I just delete what I've watched and add new content.

Clicking manage shows what is under the different classifications, but there appears no way to add just specific content. Some books are shown that are not on the iPad, so that is interesting - they must have been deleted previously but are still accessible?

Not sure how to resolve deleting and adding specific video files to the iPad. This old iPad could become a plate coaster at this rate.

Nov 18, 2020 3:00 AM in response to ryane77

Greetings ryane77. Thank you for your reply. Yes, I had already seen those instructions, but they didn't resolve the issue. That was why I posted the question, as I couldn't find a solution that would work. I hadn't connected the iPod or iPad to the computer for some years, so all the updates to the OS may be causing the incompatibility. The iPad is the first edition and the iPod is also one of the first sold.

Nov 19, 2020 2:19 AM in response to turingtest2

Thank you for the reply and help turingtest2.

I managed to get the Finder option working for adding mp3's to the classic iPod and Videos to the first generation iPad after restarting the computer after the first few fails attempts yesterday.

I found that dropping files into the pop-up that are triggered by the 'Manage Storage' button; while the files don't show as added - they were in fact in the devices.

As you say, there seems no way to classify in folders like early Catalina, but glad at least I can add the files when running Big Sur.

ipod and ipad connectivity issues Catalina 10.15.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.