📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Resetting iPhone completely restricted by Screen Time and Apple id

So, my mother set up screen time a long time ago. When I turned into an adult, she decided to lift those restrictions by removing my device from her account. It didn’t do anything besides make my phone ask for the Apple ID password every time I restart the phone. I went to settings and tried to factory reset the phone, but THAT was restricted by screen time. My mother forgot the screen time passcode AND password for her Apple ID. I then tried going to Find My to erase my device, but it gives me an error code 401. I tried using the ‘Forgot Passcode’ function for Screen time, but after a few attempts trying to get rid of the passcode, the function disappeared COMPLETELY. So now I’m stuck with a phone that doesn’t have safari, the App Store, and other default apps. I tried downloading stuff through the Messages app, but downloads are restricted as well. So I am using a completely useless iPhone XS Max that can only text and call. Nothing else

iPhone XS

Posted on Nov 10, 2020 12:30 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2020 12:55 PM

You'll need to use a computer to do a recovery mode restore, then set up as new/don't restore a backup, and redownload apps one by one.

Recovery mode restore is done by following these steps at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201263

Similar questions

1 reply

Resetting iPhone completely restricted by Screen Time and Apple id

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.