Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone X ear microphone not working in calls

I just got my iPhone X and immediately updated to iOS 14. However I noticed the upper microphone doesn’t works when in normal calls. However it works perfectly on WhatsApp etc.

iPhone X, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 10, 2020 5:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2020 5:27 PM

Hi teo214,

You might want to check out the following: If the microphones on your iPhone aren't working - Apple Support. If any of these methods dont work, you might have a hardware issue and would want to contact Apple Support (https://getsupport.apple.com) to book a service appointment or look at mail in options.

Cheers!

Mr. Helper

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2020 5:27 PM in response to teo214

Hi teo214,

You might want to check out the following: If the microphones on your iPhone aren't working - Apple Support. If any of these methods dont work, you might have a hardware issue and would want to contact Apple Support (https://getsupport.apple.com) to book a service appointment or look at mail in options.

Cheers!

Mr. Helper

Nov 10, 2020 7:19 PM in response to teo214

What do you mean by holding normally. Holding the phone normally with the earpiece at your ear, the microphone should be right by your mouth. Holding it upside would put the earpiece at your mouth and the microphone at your ear. Take a look at this image. The earpiece, that you hear with, is right next to #1, the camera. The microphone and speaker are on either side of #4, the lightning port.

Nov 10, 2020 5:48 PM in response to teo214

I'm sorry, but the earpiece is for you hearing people, not the other way around. People are not going to hear your clearly on a phone call if you are trying to talk into the earpiece. You need to speak into the microphone at the base of the phone. If WhatsApp works with the secondary mic, which is actually at the back of the phone, not the front, that is well and good, but that is not how it is supposed to work.

Nov 10, 2020 7:02 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

When I’m talking to people and holding the phone normally they can’t hear me. But it I start holding it upside down and talk to the bottom mic they can hear me. However how can I hear them unless my ear is on the front speaker? You got my question very wrong. To be clear, people don’t hear me properly during calls unless I put them on speaker. That’s it

iPhone X ear microphone not working in calls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.