Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro doesn't see my CanoScan 8800F scanner

Driving me nuts. My new MacBook Pro (Catalina) seems to only see hardware it wants to.

I gave up trying to hook an external disk drive to it after buying and returning two models and brands. It sees my WD external hard drive (My Passport Elite) and all its folders, and it works with my Dymo LabelWriter after loading its software.

But now it doesn't seem to see my old Canon CanoScan 8800F scanner. It connects via a USB2.0 cable to a Mokin multi-bus adapter and that to a Choetech multi-bus adapter. I know one adapter can be a problem, much less two, but the hard drive goes in directly via the Choetech and the Dymo goes to the Mokin first, just like the scanner, and both work fine.

I have other scanner devices I can use that are wireless, but the CanoScan can scan old Kodachrome slides and negatives, and has higher res capabilities. When I went to Canon's site to download software to the Mac, it said no drivers or software were necessary for Mac OS.

The Dymo doesn't show up in Finder, but it works via the Dymo icon on my desktop, easy enough. The WD hard drive does show up under hardware on Finder. The DVD disk drives I bought didn't show up on Finder either, even the one that came with an Apple USB connector.

What can I do to at least make the scanner seen by the MacBook? I'll try using a simple mini-adapter to plug its USB2 cord directly into the MacBook, but that didn't work with the disk drives, so I'm not hopeful with the scanner.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 10, 2020 5:35 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Nov 17, 2020 3:00 PM in response to Hafcanadian

Hey there,

We'd like to help however we can, but you may need to contact Canon directly for further help. Let's confirm the following to rule out some basics, along with some details to better understand what's happening:

1. You mentioned other devices connected through the same two adapters are working without any issues, so it's likely that those aren't the cause. If you click on the Apple logo at the top left corner of the screen, then on 'About This Mac', let us know which macOS Catalina version number is installed. Please keep in mind that the latest version is macOS Big Sur 11.0.1.
  2. You also mentioned already visiting the Canon website, and the details you found showed that no driver/software was needed for macOS. Please confirm if this was regarding only a specific version, or it only said 'macOS'.
  3. As you have an adapter that'll let you bypass the two accessories mentioned earlier, please keep us posted on the results from testing that.
  4. If you have't tried one yet, let us know the results from restarting your Mac. Check out the section 'Restart' here: Log out, sleep, wake, restart, or shut down your Mac

We look forward to hearing back from you, and take care!

Nov 30, 2020 6:38 PM in response to chuck_3rd

1. Catalina OS v. 10.15.7
  2. Canon quote: "There is no driver for the OS Version you selected. The driver may be included in your OS or you may not need a driver."
  3. Plugging the scanner directly to the computer, via a small Nonda brand USB-C to USB 3.0 adapter, did no good.
  4. I restarted the computer and there was no change, except that the Dymo Labelmaker 450 that was on Finder before (recognized even after being disconnected) is no longer shown on Finder. Finder must've been seeing some factor of the installed Dymo software before, but isn't seeing it now. I'm sure it will when I reconnect the Dymo cord.
  5. Because the two USB-C ports on one side are used for power and a wireless mouse, leaving only two ports, I use a Choetech multiport double pin adapter, then connect a Mokin multiport unit's wire into the Choetech's Thunderbolt port. The Dymo and scanner plug into the Mokin, and a WD external hard drive into one Choetech USB 3.0 port, leaving one USB port for temporary devices such as a camera. All my external devices are older, and have USB 2.0 cords. The adapters use 3.0 ports.

I keep trying to add a 300kb image of my connections, but this site crashes, and after 3 tries I'm weary of rewriting all the above.

Dec 1, 2020 4:30 AM in response to Hafcanadian

But Canon claims I don't need software with this Catalina version, and given I've had issues with this machine recognizing external disk drives, I'd like to make sure there isn't a glitch in the computer that needs attention first.

The latest simple type scanners from cannon called Lide, do not require a software driver, they use the USB driver built into the Mac OS to work, this is what they confusingly call "driverless".

The Canon CanoScan 8800F scanner must have a software driver installed on the Mac to communicate with the scanner or it will not function. Apple do not provide the driver for your scanner. The problem is that Canon have not created a driver that works with Catalina.

The only glitch with your Mac is it does not have a driver installed, so the workaround is to use Vuescan. To test your scanner with Vuescan, use this procedure in the following order:

1. down load Vuescan
  2. install Vuscan by double clicking the installer dmg file
  3. temporarily remove the power supply to the MacBook and connect the USB cable to the scanner
  4. power on the scanner
  5. connect the scanner to the Macbook
  6. power on the scanner
  7. launch Vuescan and test
  8. reconnect power supply to the MacBook

I have a 12 year old Canoscan 9950F, using Vuscan on my MacBook Pro, it works perfectly well.

Nov 30, 2020 6:44 PM in response to Hafcanadian

Gary, I'm not ignoring your suggestion. I just haven't found time to explore it.

Thanks for the information. I do plan to check VueScan out. But Canon claims I don't need software with this Catalina version, and given I've had issues with this machine recognizing external disk drives, I'd like to make sure there isn't a glitch in the computer that needs attention first.

Dec 12, 2020 7:47 PM in response to Gary Scotland

Okay, I got it (free version with watermark) downloaded and it works fine. I didn't have to follow all your steps, Gary; the scanner was already connected and on when I downloaded, installed, and launched VueScan. But in order to be rid of the watermark and use the slide scanner I have to go with the $100 "Pro" version. My Dad's hundreds of Kodak slides I'd planned on digitizing when I bought that scanner I guess I should've done long ago. They're the only ones I'd need to digitize. Once done, I wouldn't need the Pro version. I have other scanners but as far as I know the 8800F is the only one capable of doing the slides. It never has been fully functional in that things like the Email button on it has never meshed with any computer or mail program/server I've tried, so I couldn't scan directly to and immediately fire off an email. None of its onboard buttons ever really worked as intended, actually; I had to run it only by way of the computer and MP Navigator's various versions.

It's aggravating to us older buyers that devices aren't supported longer; from our perspective a few years is nothing. Even if the machine keeps grinding on, it's useless except with older computers that already have the original software program/drivers or can still accept the original software disk(s). It would seem that trying to force us into new equipment, by strangling the old, only ticks us off with that company. I used to swear by Canon products, but now just swear a different way. After 20+ years of their inkjet printers and multi-functions (40+ years of their cameras), last year in aggravation I went with a Brother MFC-L3770CDW Color Laser multifunction that may not do photos quite as well and has a larger footprint, but that costs a lot less to run overall, is significantly faster, does nearly perfect document copies, and rarely gives me grief.

Maybe its time to research Lide scanners and other brands capable of slide scanning, and just move on. That $100 Vuescan cash might better make a dent in a new machine. Still seems a waste. But that's the new world that's been built by cybercraft.

Thanks for your time trying to help! The watermarked VueScan version is relatively easy (maybe more-so than MP Navigator) and can be used for some projects with little issue. Other scans I still have one Canon multi-inkjet and the Brother I can use for. It's just that the 8800F has higher resolution capability when needed. And I have an XP, a Vista, and a W10 that have the 8800F MP Navigator onboard if needed. It's just that the Apple is faster overall and I was hoping to clear desk space of the older Windows units.

MacBook Pro doesn't see my CanoScan 8800F scanner

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.