Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Corrupted File??

I have a file that I am guessing has become corrupt. Looking at this screenshot when ever I try to add new rows after the last completed entry I am unable to get any blank rows. If I attempt to change the date and enter new data that data the entry is always erased and reverts to one row as these multiple rows are shown?

Posted on Nov 11, 2020 8:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2020 12:10 PM

It does sound strange but I'm not yet set on it being a corrupted file.

Was this document working correctly before (i.e., you have used it before today and it was working the way you expect) and this time when you opened it it is acting like this?

Does the new row actually delete itself from the table? The row number is gone and the remaining rows are all sequentially numbered with no gaps in the numbers? When you try again and add a new row, is it also sequential with no gaps in row numbers? I am trying to determine if it is getting hidden/filtered vs getting deleted.

You said "[when] I select a new Merchant". Is the Merchant column a pop up menu? I know you said "automatic" or "text" but you used "I enter" for the other columns and "I select" for this one. The verb "select" implies a selection, like with a pop up menu. Pop up menus will automatically fill to the next row.

Is there a filter on the "description" column, now that you said this is the column that makes the row disappear?

What do you mean by "everything I have entered on that new row disappears and then that new row I am entering data on disappears"? Is this a two step thing? At what point does "everything on the row disappear" and at what point does "the new row disappear"?

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2020 12:10 PM in response to dtryon9981

It does sound strange but I'm not yet set on it being a corrupted file.

Was this document working correctly before (i.e., you have used it before today and it was working the way you expect) and this time when you opened it it is acting like this?

Does the new row actually delete itself from the table? The row number is gone and the remaining rows are all sequentially numbered with no gaps in the numbers? When you try again and add a new row, is it also sequential with no gaps in row numbers? I am trying to determine if it is getting hidden/filtered vs getting deleted.

You said "[when] I select a new Merchant". Is the Merchant column a pop up menu? I know you said "automatic" or "text" but you used "I enter" for the other columns and "I select" for this one. The verb "select" implies a selection, like with a pop up menu. Pop up menus will automatically fill to the next row.

Is there a filter on the "description" column, now that you said this is the column that makes the row disappear?

What do you mean by "everything I have entered on that new row disappears and then that new row I am entering data on disappears"? Is this a two step thing? At what point does "everything on the row disappear" and at what point does "the new row disappear"?

Nov 11, 2020 11:37 AM in response to Badunit

No, there is nat any filter on as all dates are being shown in Col "A". If I drag the handle downward to create additional rows the rows are created with the date of 11/4/20 filled in instead of being blank, additionally the Merchant column, in this case Costco Gas is filled in.

The Merchant column is set to Automatic, if I change that to text the same thing happens.

Picture this if you can

1. I enter a new date, It holds
  2. I enter a new $$ amount, it holds
  3. I select a new Merchant, it holds
  4. I attempt to enter data in the Description column, everything I have entered on that new row disappears and then that new row I am entering data on disappears.

Nov 11, 2020 11:22 AM in response to dtryon9981

What does " If I attempt to change the date and enter new data that data the entry is always erased and reverts to one row as these multiple rows are shown" mean? I am trying to picture what happens but I cannot. Do you have a filter on that is only showing certain dates? That would make a row go away (be filtered to not show) if you change the date.

If the date 11/4/2020 and the words "Costco Gas" and the "11" are the result of formulas, they will fill automatically into new rows. Checkboxes will automatically fill into new rows.

Corrupted File??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.