Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will new Mi-chip Macbook support android emulator?

I am an android developer and I am looking forward to buying new macbook pro with M1 chip. So I wanted to check if it supports android emulator to run ?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 11, 2020 11:52 AM

16 replies

Nov 21, 2020 7:53 PM in response to ppabeda02

It appears VT-x are not ordinary instructions, but hypervisor instructions, and Android Emulation requires them. Rosetta does not currently support them.

Because of the way they built this (as an emulation itself), google may have to make some Apple-Silicon specific changes to get this to work.

--------

What Can't Be Translated?

Rosetta can translate most Intel-based apps, including apps that contain just-in-time (JIT) compilers. However, Rosetta doesn’t translate the following executables:

• Kernel extensions
  • Virtual Machine apps that virtualize x86_64 computer platforms

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/apple_silicon/about_the_rosetta_translation_environment

Nov 11, 2020 12:01 PM in response to vibhorg

The new Big Sur MacOS software running on M1 Macs will support ALL Intel Mac software by using its built-in Rosetta-2 emulator. Apple used a similar emulator when transitioning INTO Intel software from PowerPC, so they have deep experience with the issues involved. It should be trouble-free.

You can use this from day 1 -- you do not have to wait for the App developer to issue a re-compile into native M1-code.

Nov 21, 2020 7:52 PM in response to vibhorg

vibhorg wrote:

Thank you for replying .I want to make sure before buying the new one that this Rosetta-2 emulator will cover android emulator in android studio during android development.

I don’t think anyone can give you that guarantee at this time. Something like an android emulator is very low-level. It probably will not work at all right now. Eventually, it may work even better as no emulation will be necessary.

Nov 27, 2020 8:38 AM in response to vibhorg

The part that is not working is the ACTUAL emulation of Android hardware, not the development environment is most cases.

If you are using Android physical Hardware for your testing, the rest of the parts work at this writing, although some parts may be far slower, and others are much faster. Many developers appear to be hard at work on getting M1-specific versions working well.

Nov 27, 2020 9:13 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant Bennet-Alder wrote:

The part that is not working is the ACTUAL emulation of Android hardware, not the development environment is most cases.

I don’t know. Android development is a mess. I wouldn’t be surprised if none of it worked on Apple Silicon. Google doesn’t write software like other companies. Even their PDF library has specific, hardware dependencies. You can’t imagine how bad it is.

Dec 1, 2020 11:09 AM in response to dkardell

Apple offers the computer for your use, without any guarantee of merchantability or fitness for any particular purpose.

I am a User like you, and no one except Apple employees can speak for Apple, Inc.

-----

Since I am Not an Apple employee, I can speak my mind:

Why would Apple work hard to support Android EMULATION on their entry-level computers? Buy an Intel version and it works fine.

Will new Mi-chip Macbook support android emulator?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.