Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air M1 2020 for Adobe Creative Cloud

I currently have a MacBook Pro 2017 15". I had been considering one of the new MacBooks as they get released. I would prefer a smaller MacBook than the 16" so had considered the 13". However, the specs appear to be very similar with the primary differences for the additional $300 are the speakers and touch bar (dont use anyways).

Curious if any technical people have any thought if there might be a significant performance difference between the MacBook Pro and Air (M1 versions) for Lightroom, Photoshop and/or Final Cut Pro. The only apps operating at the same time would be Lightroom and Photoshop.

Thanks for any feedback.

Posted on Nov 12, 2020 8:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2020 8:51 AM

The other difference is that the M1 MacBook Pro has a fan whereas the M1 MacBook Air does not. That means under a heavy processing load, the Air would have to throttle back sooner than the Pro to keep the silicon cool.

FCP it’s probably the only place that would really matter. However, if you are using the Mac with a high-resolution (4K+) external display, that adds a processor load all by itself, in that case the Pro would make more sense for you.

hopefully you are aware that although lightroom CC is expected this year, Photoshop CC will not be available until sometime next year. I am referring to native apps, you’ll be able to run Intel versions using the Rosetta emulator but no one really knows how effective that will be at this point.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2020 8:51 AM in response to ejg999

The other difference is that the M1 MacBook Pro has a fan whereas the M1 MacBook Air does not. That means under a heavy processing load, the Air would have to throttle back sooner than the Pro to keep the silicon cool.

FCP it’s probably the only place that would really matter. However, if you are using the Mac with a high-resolution (4K+) external display, that adds a processor load all by itself, in that case the Pro would make more sense for you.

hopefully you are aware that although lightroom CC is expected this year, Photoshop CC will not be available until sometime next year. I am referring to native apps, you’ll be able to run Intel versions using the Rosetta emulator but no one really knows how effective that will be at this point.

Nov 12, 2020 8:47 AM in response to ejg999

Actually I just found an important distinction between the 2 models. MBP 13" has a cooling fan, while the Air does not. For programs such as Lightroom, Photoshop and FCPX that is an important distinction as all 3 of those programs require CPU that generates heat and must be cooled. Without the fan that CPU speed will be frequently throttled back to manage heat.

Macbook Air M1 2020 for Adobe Creative Cloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.