Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CarPlay "keypad access is limited"

So after searching for this issue and figuring out that it was a recurring problem with no clear answer. My keypad used to be available from CarPlay screen. Now getting message “keypad access is limited” and only solution available is to dial directly from my phone and being illegal for doing so. Tried contacting Apple's customer service before and they told me it was a restriction emitted by my car dealer. Then my car dealer said they don't have any control for this feature. I'd like a clear answer for this problem, I had a Hyundai Elantra 2017 and this wasn't an issue, but now I've been living **** with my new Hyundai Kona 2021.

iPhone XR, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 12, 2020 11:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2020 7:34 PM

This is a limitation imposed by the auto maker; they can decide which features to allow access to while the car is in motion and more than one manufacturer has for safety reasons decided to limit keypad access; the idea is they want you to use voice dialing or dial from a contact if you must place a new call while in motion.

This limitation is not inherent to CarPlay, each automaker/head end developer decides whether to impose this limit on the device.

Of note BMW (2017+), Ford (2017+), Jeep (2018+), Kia (2018+), Lincoln (2017+), and Subaru (2018+) do this as well, and most of them also limit the keyboard the same way on Android Auto.

For example, on a 2020 BMW X3:

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2020 7:34 PM in response to KaeBFly

This is a limitation imposed by the auto maker; they can decide which features to allow access to while the car is in motion and more than one manufacturer has for safety reasons decided to limit keypad access; the idea is they want you to use voice dialing or dial from a contact if you must place a new call while in motion.

This limitation is not inherent to CarPlay, each automaker/head end developer decides whether to impose this limit on the device.

Of note BMW (2017+), Ford (2017+), Jeep (2018+), Kia (2018+), Lincoln (2017+), and Subaru (2018+) do this as well, and most of them also limit the keyboard the same way on Android Auto.

For example, on a 2020 BMW X3:

Nov 18, 2020 6:00 PM in response to iSmn85

It very well could be a restriction the 2021 vehicle radio has in place...a lot of the times the dealership may not be that aware of changes in the radio to that degree...especially for fairly newer releases. Perhaps search for user forums for your vehicle to see if this is a discussion that has come up to get some clarity. If that is the case Apple wouldn't be able to do anything about it as it is tied to the firmware for your radio. Unless they release a firmware update to change that then it's a safety feature they have opted to keep.

CarPlay "keypad access is limited"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.