Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error while attempting to install Big Sur on my 2016 MacBook Pro

I get "An error occurred while installing selected updates" Where is the 12 GB download - should I delete and re-download? Other thoughts?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 12, 2020 1:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2020 2:34 PM

TDawg11 wrote:

I'm sorry, I don't think I was clear. I was able to download the 12.18GB update file. The Download button in system preferences has changed to Upgrade Now. When I click on Upgrade Now I get the aforementioned error messages. This is still because the servers are getting slammed? I was thinking my download file was corrupt so I was thinking of deleting it and re-downloading, but I don't know the location of the file. If you think I just need to wait, that's fine, I suppose, I don't have a choice I guess :-)

Sounds like you have the complete installer.

Reboot into Safe Boot mode. launch the installer from there Applications/ "Install macOS Big-Sur.app"

SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache,  etc.  Login 

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2020 2:34 PM in response to TDawg11

TDawg11 wrote:

I'm sorry, I don't think I was clear. I was able to download the 12.18GB update file. The Download button in system preferences has changed to Upgrade Now. When I click on Upgrade Now I get the aforementioned error messages. This is still because the servers are getting slammed? I was thinking my download file was corrupt so I was thinking of deleting it and re-downloading, but I don't know the location of the file. If you think I just need to wait, that's fine, I suppose, I don't have a choice I guess :-)

Sounds like you have the complete installer.

Reboot into Safe Boot mode. launch the installer from there Applications/ "Install macOS Big-Sur.app"

SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache,  etc.  Login 

Nov 12, 2020 2:21 PM in response to leroydouglas

Error while attempting to install Big Sur on my 2016 MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.