Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur "Installation Failed"

I made sure my iMac was compatible so not sure why right off the bat it states the after I select download now installation failed. Currently using Catalina OS. Any suggestions?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 12, 2020 2:16 PM

9 replies

Nov 12, 2020 3:07 PM in response to msbrewwi

I am having problems with this upgrade. I get An error ha accord now. At first it let me download the whole thing than said Download has failed. Why? I think the whole community is downloading at the same time and we may have to wait through the week to get a clean install. Im using a 2018 Mac Mini i3 Quad core 16gb ram. I should in the clear.

Nov 14, 2020 8:23 AM in response to rednes800

I installed Big Sur on Friday, 13th. 2020. Now with the troubles I'm having with several programs, I'm attempting to go back to Catilina where my system ran smoothly. There is a page you can google to revert from Big Sur back to Catilina. It's a process though. Personally, I would wait until all the bugs are worked out of Big Sur before I would concider a download.

Nov 14, 2020 11:29 AM in response to Boogie01

If I may, I offer a comment. I have used Big Sur's beta for several months. They seem to have fixed all of the bugs. I downloaded the regular Big Sur the day before public release and it works very well. Experience on this forum has shown me that many people always complain that an update or upgrade was defective and caused serious problems. In the end, the problem was always found not to be Apple's fault. It was either some junk software that was installed or some incompatible extensions, etc. When cleared, the problems went away. What happens is that an update or upgrade seems to uncover an existing problem. So, it's better to get to the root of the problem and fix it. This can be done by posting the specific problems here and then someone will usually offer a solution that works.

Nov 14, 2020 11:36 AM in response to Ronasara

No. It's because the moment Apple released Big Sur to the public on Thursday EST, people started downloading it at once, and Apple's servers started to hang. So it failed. Not because we Apple users install some 'junk' it crashed. If you don't believe me go to MacRumors and they have all the updates regarding Big Sur. Apple's macOS download servers were stuck for about 3-4 hours.

If you're not supposed to download any other software and only break your head deciding what's in the App Store, we all might as well move on to Windows 10. Then you don't have to worry about trashing your precious Mac with 'junk software'.

Big Sur "Installation Failed"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.