Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur spends hours downloading and then gives an error on both of my Macs.

How do I fix the error after downloading Big Sur to my Macs? (Mac mini and MacBook air

Posted on Nov 12, 2020 3:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 9:57 AM

I agree. Best to wait a bit for traffic to decrease. Also, the download can take up to an hour, more or less, then another 40 minutes to load, more or less. Be sure to use a wired Ethernet connection, not Wi-Fi, as wireless downloads of large operating system files will often get corrupted and then either not load or will have issues.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2020 9:57 AM in response to RonK6XC

I agree. Best to wait a bit for traffic to decrease. Also, the download can take up to an hour, more or less, then another 40 minutes to load, more or less. Be sure to use a wired Ethernet connection, not Wi-Fi, as wireless downloads of large operating system files will often get corrupted and then either not load or will have issues.

Big Sur spends hours downloading and then gives an error on both of my Macs.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.