Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

4K Youtube on Safari macOS Big Sur isn't working

I'm using a 2016 MacBook Pro 15'. After upgrading the OS to Big Sur, I still can't watch 4K YouTube on Safari. Is there anything I have to do to turn it on?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 3:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 5:04 AM

Actually going to the developer thing and turning on vp9 on battery fixed the YouTube 4K support issue i was havin...Never the less that feature should be enabled automatically instead of having to go to the developer settings and enabling it from the experimental features tab...still a bad apple

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2020 5:04 AM in response to mcoquias

Actually going to the developer thing and turning on vp9 on battery fixed the YouTube 4K support issue i was havin...Never the less that feature should be enabled automatically instead of having to go to the developer settings and enabling it from the experimental features tab...still a bad apple

Nov 15, 2020 4:51 AM in response to 礎帆

Same...I have a 2016 mbp 15" and safari still doesnt support 4k. Honestly this is really frustrating, Ive been using chrome and microsoft edge just to watch 4k on youtube and decided to update to big sur cause i thought i didnt need to anymore...but turns out i was lied to. Also big sur is running slower than catalina on my mbp so that makes it even worse. Please allow older devices to watch 4k videos on youtube apple.

4K Youtube on Safari macOS Big Sur isn't working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.