Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Font missing on Big Sur?

Since I installed macOS Big Sur, there are missing fonts that now display an interrogation point in some web pages and in emails. I can't even write an email now!

That's what it looks like.

I went in the Font Book and activated all the fonts. I tried resetting the font cache as suggested online, and then restarted the computer, but the problem still persists.

I hope I can find a solution soon!

Thank you.

Mac Pro, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 4:49 AM

12 replies

Nov 16, 2020 12:02 PM in response to lukag19

lukag19 wrote:

Since I installed macOS Big Sur, there are missing fonts that now display an interrogation point in some web pages and in emails. I can't even write an email now!

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/94847c32-b916-4e6c-b7fe-bd814ab9f483

That's what it looks like.

I went in the Font Book and activated all the fonts. I tried resetting the font cache as suggested online, and then restarted the computer, but the problem still persists.

I hope I can find a solution soon!
Thank you.

From the Font Book.app>File>Restore standard fonts

Font Book User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

Nov 16, 2020 12:47 PM in response to lukag19

lukag19 wrote:

I did that, but it did not help.

If it is a corrupt font cache for your Mac  you can try removing all font cache files including system and logged in user account.

Quit all running applications.

From the terminal.app copy and paste:

sudo atsutil databases -remove

(Please note your psswd will not echo on screen)

After entering the command, quite Terminal  and restart your Mac

Dec 21, 2020 8:58 AM in response to leroydouglas

It is interesting, I did this Terminal script, and it did get rid of the issue momentarily, but it came back once I started using Safari or Mail. I am on a new Mac Mini M1 (I migrated from my Mac Pro. ), which is a bit problematic, since Suitcase is not supported on this machine, so I cannot turn On/Off fonts. I am afraid I may have to reset to factory and avoid the Migration Assistant. Talk off the ledge!!!

Font missing on Big Sur?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.