Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ignore Update

what happened to the ability to ignore updates? I don't want Big Sur, I see no advantage to it, and about 1/2 my software and also my device drivers wont work (tracball and wacom) so I see no reason for it. there used to be an "ignore this update" option which is now gone it seems? even turning off all updating options the stupid little red Icon is still there. It's rather annoying! anyone know of a fix or something I missed?

Thanks

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 5:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 5:19 AM

D. Thomas Lamourine wrote:

what happened to the ability to ignore updates? I don't want Big Sur, I see no advantage to it, and about 1/2 my software and also my device drivers wont work (tracball and wacom) so I see no reason for it. there used to be an "ignore this update" option which is now gone it seems? even turning off all updating options the stupid little red Icon is still there. It's rather annoying! anyone know of a fix or something I missed?

Thanks

suppress Big Sur from appearing in System Preferences > Software Update, from the Terminal.app copy and paste:

sudo softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Big Sur"

then followed by:

defaults write com.apple.systempreferences AttentionPrefBundleIDs 0 && Killall Dock
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2020 5:19 AM in response to D. Thomas Lamourine

D. Thomas Lamourine wrote:

Thanks

suppress Big Sur from appearing in System Preferences > Software Update, from the Terminal.app copy and paste:

sudo softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Big Sur"

then followed by:

defaults write com.apple.systempreferences AttentionPrefBundleIDs 0 && Killall Dock

Nov 13, 2020 6:10 AM in response to MargeHomer

MargeHomer wrote:

First . . . thank you leroydouglas!

So, if I understand this correctly, the first command ignores the Big Sur upgrade, the second takes care of the little red icon?

Now, a few months go by and we'd like to upgrade to Big Sur, what is the command to undo the "ignore"?

The easy thing is just go to the download page

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-big-sur/id1526878132?ls=1&mt=12

or if you can keep track locally, copy and paste:

sudo softwareupdate --reset-ignored

Ignore Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.