Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Retina mid 2014 dead after Big Sur update

My Macbook Pro Retina mid 2014 si dead after Big Sur update. After pressing the power button it remains on black screen. The Apple behind the display turno on, but Nottingham else happening.

I’ve already tried to reste PRAM or Booking in safe/recovery mode without result.

What can I do?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 5:21 AM

18 replies

Dec 5, 2020 2:19 AM in response to felipechaulet

Thanks for the update.

What I observe is that local Apple shop representatives and central Apple support staff do react differently

on these cases. I read about the following variations:

• The guy in Dubai store that got the i/o board replaced for approx. 100 USD
  • The lady in the Düsseldorf shop and several others that got an offer of approx. 500 USD for Logic board replacement
  • One guy in Germany that got an i/o board replacement free of charge.
  • Another guy from Germany, I read on a Facebook forum that got the Apple support to admit its a i/o board issue,

where the support said they do not get spare parts for vintage hardware and they offered to potentially replace the MBP with another one but is waiting for their final offer.

To me handling these issues in such different ways seems wierd.

Nov 16, 2020 9:40 AM in response to gianluca_baldini

gianluca_baldini wrote:

My Macbook Pro Retina mid 2014 si dead after Big Sur update. After pressing the power button it remains on black screen. The Apple behind the display turno on, but Nottingham else happening.

I’ve already tried to reste PRAM or Booking in safe/recovery mode without result.

What can I do?

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/11/16/apples-macos-big-sur-may-be-bricking-older-macbook-pro-models

Call Customer Support  (800) MYAPPLE (800–692–7753) 

or on line  https://getsupport.apple.com/

Nov 17, 2020 10:39 AM in response to gianluca_baldini

Exactly the same issue here, on my Mid-2014 MBP 13" The Apple store is blaming it on a hardware problem and refuses to do anything for me. My laptop was working well, and was bricked during the installation of Bug Sur. My computer is stuck on a black screen, despite trying all the troubleshooting key combinations. I'm just going to have to pick up my dead Mac at the Apple store, since it would cost $500 to "repair" it by replacing the logic board.

Dec 4, 2020 1:06 PM in response to gianluca_baldini

So,

a little update on this.

After a few calls with Apple Support and trying to reset NVRAM and SMC countless times, they told me to send the laptop for service.

So, Wednesday night I went to an authorised Apple service shop and explained the guy what happened.

What he wrote on the report was:

Computer is not starting after Big Sur update. Apple logo lights up. Black screen.

I told him I had a case with Apple Support, but he told me he didn't need that.

Thursday morning I got an e-mail from then saying this:

Software upgrade is generally not cause of a pre existing Hardware issue.

Vin device, apple will not perform repairs, repair payable

Today I went there to get my laptop back and talked to the guy. He told me my computer is considered vintage and Apple only holds parts of up to 6 years old laptops and therefore, they cannot fix my laptop for me. If I pay them to fix it, then fine, they can do it.

Conclusion is... Apple broke our laptops and they won't do anything about it. When they released Catalina, some T2 chips were corrupted and they also didn't fix it.

I read some news about an Apple engineer saying the issue is with the HDMI IC and once he removed it, the problem disappeared.

Some people are saying you could reflash the "BIOS".

None of those solutions are something you can just do at home without special equipment.

As usual, I hope you get a copy of this via e-mail, as I believe this comment will be deleted soon.

Macbook Pro Retina mid 2014 dead after Big Sur update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.