Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur Install hangs up after reboot

I began an install/upgrade of my Mac to Big Sur last night. The initial stages seemed to go ok. I left it for a while, came back and got the multi-colored new sign in screen. I clicked on my standard icon representing me as the user, entered my password and it has had nothing but a spinning wheel under my log in name for about 8 hours. Oddly, I am getting the little "take a tour" messages and something is running in the background because I actually got a calendar notice of a recurring event! But the screen is stuck with the multicolor splash, login name and spinning disk (not the beach ball).

I'm a little afraid to just power this down, but what else is there to do?

iMac Pro

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 5:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2020 1:28 PM

Hello korkyk,

We understand your Mac displays a spinning wheel and appears to be stuck after installing Big Sur. If you are not able to proceed past this screen or make any selections, restarting is a great step to take.

If you are able to access the Apple () menu, try the applicable steps from If an app freezes or quits unexpectedly on Mac.

We hope that helps!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2020 1:28 PM in response to korkyk

Hello korkyk,

We understand your Mac displays a spinning wheel and appears to be stuck after installing Big Sur. If you are not able to proceed past this screen or make any selections, restarting is a great step to take.

If you are able to access the Apple () menu, try the applicable steps from If an app freezes or quits unexpectedly on Mac.

We hope that helps!

Big Sur Install hangs up after reboot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.