Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Big Sur, no paste option after copying file

Today I installed macOS Big Sur, version 11.0.1, I've found that when I copy any file in Finder, then right click, there is no Paste option in the context sub-menu.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 6:59 AM

13 replies

Nov 19, 2020 2:36 PM in response to SimonPlatten

It works for me:

If you don't get that Paste option near the top of the contextual menu boot into Safe Mode by booting with the Shift key held down and check there to see if the problem persists.  Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Nov 19, 2020 2:24 PM in response to SimonPlatten

Thanks for reaching out SimonPlatten,

It sounds like you're having trouble pasting items you've copied to the clipboard, and we'd like to help.

Are you trying to copy a file in Finder, and paste it into another location in Finder, or paste it into an app?

Are you able to copy and paste content within a document by right clicking?

Is there any result if you try to paste using a keyboard shortcut? We ask just to help us isolate the behavior. The following page provides info on keyboard shortcuts: Mac keyboard shortcuts

We look forward to hearing back from you!

Nov 28, 2020 10:15 AM in response to Old Toad

Thank you for your reply. I wasn't able to drag the files - couldn't 'pick them up'. So was using right click to reach copy and paste. Inconsistent behaviour - re-boot seemed to allow copy & paste for a few files, and then not. Just had to accept it, took me about 4 days when I could make it work. Was using LAN because I wasn't able to connect 2015 iMac to new MacBook Air, using a USB (in Mac) to a USB-C (in Air). Didn't seem to recognise any connection. Tried two leads, same thing. I realised I could use the LAN (believe me, that was quite something for me. I am a driver, not a mechanic :)), and I managed eventually. Thanks for trying to help.

Dec 19, 2020 3:27 PM in response to Nicholas_B2

I just upgraded from Catalina to Big Sur on a MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2019). In Catlina, I could click on a file in Finder, rt.click Copy (file-name) then locate a different folder, rt.click on folder and was offered Paste Item. Which gave me a copy in the new folder as we as the old folder. Under Big Sur, Paste Item is not offered as an option. Why not?

Jan 7, 2021 7:30 AM in response to Cannon29

I have a work around, its very odd, but it works....Open a second instance of "Finder", drag the file you want to copy from one instance of File to the other instance of File which must be at the location you want to copy to...then after the drag and drop is complete, copy the file you just dropped and now you can paste it into the original "Finder", it works, but its tiresome.

macOS Big Sur, no paste option after copying file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.