Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS Big Sur get stuck on 12.18 GB of 12.18GB

Hello all, I'm having an issue while trying to update from macOS Mojave to Big Sur,

The update goes until the end 12.18 GB in total. But after download ends the "Install" button never appears, is just getting stuck on 12.18GB.

I tried twice in normal mode and one time in safe mode and behavior is the same (see bellow)

Can you help please?

Macbook used : MacBook Pro 2019 Touch Bar 15"

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 7:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 1:47 PM

I found a way.

MacOS Updated now. :)

Current Behavior:

1. When trying to download the software occurs the issue described on the main topic.

Explanation:

1. Maybe apple will solve this later but I have noticed the following:
  2. If the download is on 12.18 GB and you restart the computer, you lose all downloaded data and you have to start from the beginning to download it. So, do not restart the Mac.

How to solve it:

1. After download reaches 12.18GB and get stuck, disconnect internet connection and then download will stop.
  2. Connect network again and click "upgrade" button (you will notice that the download is not anymore at 12.18GB but is not also starting from beginning maybe it will be half downloaded and starting from this point).
  3. And than after some time will get stuck again and you do the same 1 and 2 steps above and you will see that the download is growing little by little I did this 3 times.

It seems that for some reason the download progress bar is not giving the right percentage/results or for some reason is saying that is everything downloaded but is not.

(Sorry for my bad English is not my native language)

Similar questions

37 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2020 1:47 PM in response to hamiltonfrommaputo

I found a way.

MacOS Updated now. :)

Current Behavior:

1. When trying to download the software occurs the issue described on the main topic.

Explanation:

1. Maybe apple will solve this later but I have noticed the following:
  2. If the download is on 12.18 GB and you restart the computer, you lose all downloaded data and you have to start from the beginning to download it. So, do not restart the Mac.

How to solve it:

1. After download reaches 12.18GB and get stuck, disconnect internet connection and then download will stop.
  2. Connect network again and click "upgrade" button (you will notice that the download is not anymore at 12.18GB but is not also starting from beginning maybe it will be half downloaded and starting from this point).
  3. And than after some time will get stuck again and you do the same 1 and 2 steps above and you will see that the download is growing little by little I did this 3 times.

It seems that for some reason the download progress bar is not giving the right percentage/results or for some reason is saying that is everything downloaded but is not.

(Sorry for my bad English is not my native language)

Nov 13, 2020 8:24 AM in response to hamiltonfrommaputo

I have the exact same problem. It (Finally) gets to 12.18 Gb but then stops. It then waits there for 15 mins at least before giving me the error message saying that it can't install. I don't know how a HUGE tech company can fail this badly.

I've tried doing this a couple of times since it was sent out yesterday at 6pm (GMT) and this is the furthest that the install has gone, the other times it has failed before even starting to download or it would download about 5Gb and then fail. Either way, this is not what we are used to seeing from Apple.

One question I have:

Why does their support page say that the issue has been resolved when it clearly hasn't???

Anyway, good luck with getting this thing to install mate. It seems like were just gonna have to wait a few days for things to be ironed out XD

Nov 13, 2020 1:57 PM in response to tsquare32926

No, is not suppose to start from the beginning.

When you disconnect and connect the network. Download will verify where it really stopped. and will continue from this exactly point.

Ex: got same behavior (Stuck on 12.18GB) disconnect network (update progress bar disappear and a message appears saying that some issue regarding network occurred), connect network again. Check for update, click upgrade button. Progress bar starts to grow fast (checking already downloaded data) until certain point with will stop and really start to download the remain data.

But it can occur to get stuck again on 12.18Gb repeat the procedure and you will notice that the download is growing and the last check point (real downloaded data) is different from the previous.

Nov 13, 2020 5:44 PM in response to hamiltonfrommaputo

On my 3rd iteration of your method (about the 7th iteration overall). Each time I disconnect from internet the download moves fast at first then slows down at an earlier point in the download than the earlier download. It's been setting on the same 12.18gb set point for the last hour plus. Only reason I am upgrading to Big Sur is that the upgrade to Catalina scrogged up my late 2015 iMac and I am trying to salvage the machine to where it's somewhat usable. I'm going to let it run overnight and see where we are in the AM.

Nov 13, 2020 10:05 PM in response to tsquare32926

Yes it happened the same to me. When the download moves fast it means that this is the part of data that really downloaded. And is just checking the data. then when becomes slow it means that is the data that was left and is downloading starting from that point. You will notice that that download will increase little by little...

Nov 15, 2020 8:11 AM in response to hamiltonfrommaputo

So it's two days, later - Nov 15 and I'm getting the same issue maybe ten times. Your solution doesn't start things mid stream for me, it starts over, but much faster, almost like it has some of the download buffered. But yet, after about three minutes, we're stuck again at 12.18. Pretty sure when I die, St. Peter will say good news - you've been granted access to heaven, just as soon as the final bits of your download are complete.

Nov 15, 2020 8:16 AM in response to hamiltonfrommaputo

Did repeated attempts work for you? I am up to about ten tries, and I'm not noticing anything different about my 12.18 stuck points. I can imagine there is one computer system at Apple serves up the final bit of data and that system is overloaded or not working. A better system on apple's part would be to give us a message that things are overloaded and to come back later rather than tease us with a partial download.

Nov 15, 2020 9:10 AM in response to Gabehi1231

It is mind-boggling to me the fact that Apple is not jumping in to help with this issue. My Big Sur install started last night around 8:00 PM and by 2:00 AM the progress bar was almost to 100% but it didn't move after that. Looked again this morning at 9:00 AM and it was still at the same place. Some people online recommended to click on the power button and it would "wake up" the install. I tried that and it didn't work.

Now I have restarted the computer and it got worse, it only shows a black screen sometimes and some other times it shows password recovery screen.

I now have restarted the computer pressing down command and R before the chime to enter recovery mode and run disk utility's first aid and then Reinstall Big Sur utility. Right now it looks like it is either downloading or running the install with 18 minutes remaining. I also connected the computer via ethernet cable in addition to WiFi just in case the issue was a faulty (unlikely) wireless connection.

I don't know if this is going to work but at least I don't see a black screen... I'll keep you posted if it works.

Nov 15, 2020 12:31 PM in response to OrangeSkyWeb

After several failed attempts to reinstall Big Sur it kept restarting the computer, prompting for password presenting the progress bar at around 10% and restarting itself. I had to try restarting at Recovery mode with the command R option and trying to reinstall Big Sur from there. It finally worked probably after the 4th attempt. So, my conclusion is that what worked for me was to try to reinstall Big Sur from the recovery mode every time it failed until it worked.

If this doesn't work, call Apple Support and if they can't help right away, ask them to transfer you to a senior consultant.

Good luck people!

Nov 16, 2020 4:21 AM in response to Littlecheez17

Thank you. I appreciate it, and thinking of this problem two ways 1) assume that a certain percentage of times it might work, 2) the other scenario is there's something particular about my situation that ALWAYS makes it appear to stop at 12.18, hang, and error out. My sample size is now about 25 total on two separate machines (2018 Mac mini, and 2018 MacBook Pro). So far, all stuck.

MacOS Big Sur get stuck on 12.18 GB of 12.18GB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.