Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it safe to upgrade my iPad with iOS7 to iOS 12/13?

Is it safe to upgrade my iPad w/ ios7 to Ios12/13?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad mini 4, iPadOS 14

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 7:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2020 6:25 AM

Whether you are able to update your iPad to a newer version of iOS/iPadOS will be dictated by your iPad model - and the currently installed version of iOS. You can find this information here:

Settings > General > About

Not sure which iPad you have? Identify your iPad model.

Here is a list of the highest version of iOS supported by the older models of iPad (for simplicity - “generations” are shortened to a number) that are restricted in their ability to be updated:

iPad1 - iOS 5.1.1

iPad2, iPad3 and iPad mini1 - iOS 9.3.5 (WiFi Only models), iOS 9.3.6 (WiFi & Cellular)

iPad4 - iOS 10.3.3 (WiFi Only), iOS 10.3.4 (WiFi & Cellular)

iPad Air1, iPad mini2 and iPad mini3 - iOS 12.4.9

Newer models, not appearing in this list, are all able to be updated to the current version, iPadOS 14.2.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2020 6:25 AM in response to Fydrych

Whether you are able to update your iPad to a newer version of iOS/iPadOS will be dictated by your iPad model - and the currently installed version of iOS. You can find this information here:

Settings > General > About

Not sure which iPad you have? Identify your iPad model.

Here is a list of the highest version of iOS supported by the older models of iPad (for simplicity - “generations” are shortened to a number) that are restricted in their ability to be updated:

iPad1 - iOS 5.1.1

iPad2, iPad3 and iPad mini1 - iOS 9.3.5 (WiFi Only models), iOS 9.3.6 (WiFi & Cellular)

iPad4 - iOS 10.3.3 (WiFi Only), iOS 10.3.4 (WiFi & Cellular)

iPad Air1, iPad mini2 and iPad mini3 - iOS 12.4.9

Newer models, not appearing in this list, are all able to be updated to the current version, iPadOS 14.2.

Nov 13, 2020 7:46 AM in response to Fydrych

If you have an iPad Mini still on iOS 7 after all of these years, I doubt you have an iPad Mini 4.

The original, initial iOS version for an iPad Mini 4 was either iOS 9 or iOS 10.

If your iPad Mini model is still running iOS 7, it is possible it maybe a 2012 iPad Mini 1 or 2013 iPad Mini 2.

What is the “A” model number of your iPad?

The “A” model number can be found in the Settings App under General, About or on the back of the iPad itself below the large, bold print iPad.

A 2012 iPad Mini 1 can only be upgraded to iOS 9.3.5/9.3.6.

A 2013 iPad Mini 2 can only be upgraded to any point version of iOS 12, which, currently, is iOS 12.4.9.

In any event, your iPad Mini is too far behind in iOS upgrades/updates and will require the use of the most recent versions of iTunes for either Mac or PC.

Good Luck to You!

Is it safe to upgrade my iPad with iOS7 to iOS 12/13?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.