Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can I enlarge the text on my iMac - home page on top - Finder and all those icons on the right side they are so fucking small

I hate Big Sur but besides that - the top row of icons

from

Finder all the way to the right with the icons dates etc

so small

is there a way of enlarging it

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 7:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2020 2:47 PM

Hello Pik Pro,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. We understand you'd like to adjust the size of text and icons in macOS Big Sur.

It's important to customize your Mac, and we'd like to help.

To adjust the size of the icons in the Dock, you can follow the section in this article that says, "Customize the Dock": Use the Dock on Mac

In addition you can increase the size of the text and more by following these helpful steps: Make it easier to see what’s on the screen of your Mac

Best regards.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2020 2:47 PM in response to Pik Pro

Hello Pik Pro,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. We understand you'd like to adjust the size of text and icons in macOS Big Sur.

It's important to customize your Mac, and we'd like to help.

To adjust the size of the icons in the Dock, you can follow the section in this article that says, "Customize the Dock": Use the Dock on Mac

In addition you can increase the size of the text and more by following these helpful steps: Make it easier to see what’s on the screen of your Mac

Best regards.

Nov 19, 2020 6:36 PM in response to Pik Pro

Hi Pik Pro,

It looks like you have a 5K iMac with a retina display. This means that you should have some scaling options available to you. To change your scaling, complete the following steps:

1. Open System Preferences.
  2. Click on "Displays"
  3. Make sure you are on the "Display" tab, not the "Color" tab.
  4. Under "Resolution", change it from "Default for display" to "Scaled".
  5. You should see a few options here. The one farthest to the right is the smallest option (you likely do not want to switch to this because your menu bar will be even smaller), and the one farthest to the left is the largest. Try to mess with these options and see what works best for you.

The only downside to this method is that other parts of macOS will also be enlarged. If it is too big of a deal, you can always switch back to the default option.

The main thing that you will probably notice with the Big Sur menu bar is that it blends into the background, instead of being a solid color, like in previous version. There seem to be some options online to add a colored bar to the top of your wallpaper to get the effect of the old design back. Here is a link that I found after a quick google search.

Hope this helps!

Nov 20, 2020 4:41 AM in response to CalvinBernstein

The terrible problem with Big Sur is they for some unknown reason decided to dramatically increase the space above and below menu bar icons, above and below emails, folders, and just about every screen. If they would just go back to the original sized icons, fonts, and line spacing, it would be good again. As it is, it's a complete cluster fuck of a mess, ugly, unreadable, and looks like some 10 year older just placed things on the menu bar. Other app developers have "so far" kept their icons the same size, and they're just as readable (but of course Big Sur spaces them out horizontally, ugh ugh ugh) What a mess of an update, really don't think they're going to go back on this, unless enough people tell the emperor it's ugly and not functional.

Nov 24, 2020 6:51 AM in response to Pik Pro

I just upgraded to Big Sur from Catalina a couple days ago. I don't mind the user interface changes except that everything appears smaller in terms of text. To the point that I either have to lower resolution and deal with fuzzy bigger text, or get better readers to see smaller text. The top menu bar is so small? I don't understand why? Things like Safari history list is also small text? again why? With my middle age eyes I simply can't use Big Sur, will have to revert back to Catalina.

Nov 24, 2020 9:15 PM in response to John Scott1

Thank you for your reply John Scott - every time I write a negative review of Big Sur, Apple Support censors me.

I think it's ridiculous - they not only despise criticism but refuse to listen to common sense.

Those of us who have been loyal to Apple for decades are getting older and once we get used to an upgrade and it works for us, keeping in mind the need to make sure icons and text are not minute - they have some 15 year old designer make it cool for the younger generation....ridiculous and insulting.

with all the money Apple has there should be surveys and chats and not this support system of users where we have to answer questions and figure out their mistakes.

It's shameful. Greedy Apples....

be safe and take care and they will probably delete this even before you can read it.

how can I enlarge the text on my iMac - home page on top - Finder and all those icons on the right side they are so fucking small

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.