Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preferences error with Big Sur 11.0.1

Preferences errors with Big Sur 11.0.1 using iMacPro (2017)

iMac Pro, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 8:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2020 10:35 AM

I just upgraded my macbook air to Big Sur 11.0.1 The new OS does not recognize the new System Preferences App from January 1, 2020 and proceeds to launch the old version from June, 2018 when I launch it from the menu bar apple or from Launch Pad. Both reference the old version from Catalina.

To get the current (Big Sur version) System Preferences to function, I have to first launch Finder, click on Applications, scroll down to the System Preferences App (from Jan 2020) and launch it then.

How do I get the normal process to launch the right version of this APP????

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2020 10:35 AM in response to DCO

I just upgraded my macbook air to Big Sur 11.0.1 The new OS does not recognize the new System Preferences App from January 1, 2020 and proceeds to launch the old version from June, 2018 when I launch it from the menu bar apple or from Launch Pad. Both reference the old version from Catalina.

To get the current (Big Sur version) System Preferences to function, I have to first launch Finder, click on Applications, scroll down to the System Preferences App (from Jan 2020) and launch it then.

How do I get the normal process to launch the right version of this APP????

Nov 19, 2020 10:48 AM in response to FZ11

It appears that the 2018 Catalina version of the System Preferences App is located in a Carbon Copy folder, while the new 2020 version is located in the Applications folder. Unfortunately, I do not know how to force the normal opening of the latest Big Sur version of System Preferences from the menu bar apple.

Will that require a fix from Apple in ver. 11.0.2 ?

Preferences error with Big Sur 11.0.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.