Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

There is no "software update" option on my 'System Preferences' menu. Please help me find a way to access OS Catalina

There is no "software update" option on my 'System Preferences' menu. Please help me find a way to access and upgrade to OS Catalina

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 10:10 PM

5 replies

Nov 14, 2020 8:59 AM in response to owenfrompenang

Hi! So if you are running High Sierra you should technically be able to update to Mojave. https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2011?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Try downloading from this link. And if that doesn't work either, then I would go to this website https://support.apple.com/en_US/downloads/Mojave

Try downloading one of those. If it works awesome! You should be able to get access to Catalina and even Big Sur after that!

Just make sure you go to the app store and search for the update because they often don't just appear in system preferences

:)

Camile

Nov 13, 2020 11:27 PM in response to owenfrompenang

Hi!

I have a few friends who had this problem as well! It's actually not a problem they were just looking in the wrong place. If you go to the App Store and search for MacOS Catalina, the Update should appear there and you should click get. I would suggest however, with the new MacOS Big Sur update that was just released that you skip over Catalina and go straight to Big Sur. Once you click View > Get; system preferences should open and find the update.

Nov 14, 2020 1:21 AM in response to Camille_Powell

Hi Camille,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have done all those steps and still came up with no options to get Catalina. I understand that even though my MacBook Air 11inch (mid 2013) would be compatible with Catalina, I cannot find any way to do this. I have just been told by the Apple store guys that because I am still running High Sierra, it is too old and not letting me upgrade to Catalina.

If you have any further ideas, please let me know. Thanks.

There is no "software update" option on my 'System Preferences' menu. Please help me find a way to access OS Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.