Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur Network Connectivity Issue

I upgraded to Big Sur two days ago (11/12) and throughout yesterday (11/13) I've had this weird issue where my 13in 2020 MacBook Pro seems to lose access to my local network. The laptop stays connected to WiFi fine, but I am unable to ping google.com or my router's IP address. Running Network Diagnostics yielded no problems with system WiFi, but proposed a DNS issue. I have many devices in my home (including a second 15in 2019 MacBook Pro on Big Sur) and everything else works fine.

So far, I've tried the following unique things (in order) but none of them have resolved fixed the issue:

• Reboot
  • Reset SMC
  • Reset NVRAM/PRAM
  • Added Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 and Google DNS
  • Run Apple Diagnostics utility (Option-D on startup)
  • Run first aid from Disk Utility for Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD - Data
  • Reinstall macOS Big Sur

Key Observations:

• The laptop stays connected to my home WiFi network
  • The laptop is unable to connect with local devices (including a network Time Machine Backup disk)
  • The laptop is unable to ping local devices or websites

On each reboot, the laptop works well for up to an hour or two before exhibiting the symptom.

From some searching online (here, here, and here) and in Apple forums (here, here, and here), it appears that a similar if not identical issue was present in betas and the public release.

If anyone has any info info about this, PLEASE let me know. The machine is used for remote teaching so the interruptions during class time is particularly devastating.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Nov 14, 2020 12:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 3:14 PM

I have the same problem, however it seems to happen after I've tried to connect to another device on my home network. Like copying a file to another Mac, or scanning something on a network attached printer. It will lose connection to that device, and from then on it even loses connection to the internet. The only solution appears to be rebooting.

Copying files over the network appears to be painfully slow, but ultimately it seems to be because once the file transfer initiates the network connection fails ("Server Connections Interrupted" error window appears), all network connections from the computer are kaput. It's like the network cable is disconnected. Same issue on wired & wireless.

HIGHLY annoying.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2020 3:14 PM in response to pigeon214

I have the same problem, however it seems to happen after I've tried to connect to another device on my home network. Like copying a file to another Mac, or scanning something on a network attached printer. It will lose connection to that device, and from then on it even loses connection to the internet. The only solution appears to be rebooting.

Copying files over the network appears to be painfully slow, but ultimately it seems to be because once the file transfer initiates the network connection fails ("Server Connections Interrupted" error window appears), all network connections from the computer are kaput. It's like the network cable is disconnected. Same issue on wired & wireless.

HIGHLY annoying.

Big Sur Network Connectivity Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.