Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur - WirelessInternet drops or does not connect

I have just updated my MacBook Air (13 inch 2017) to Big Sur. When I try to use Safari, it tells me I am not connected to the Internet.

I also have a MacMini (2018), and my wife has a MacBook Pro (15 inch 2014), both of which are running Catalina 10.15.7. They are connected to the same wireless network, and are connecting properly.

Help - what is wrong with Bug Sur?

John

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 14, 2020 2:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2020 6:47 AM

John Sc,

Thanks for coming back and letting us know what worked for you. We can't really speculate why power cycling the router and modem worked, but it is a fix we have seen before here at Apple Support Communities. Your friends should be just fine installing Big Sur if they choose. Just remind them to have a backup: Back up your Mac with Time Machine.

Cheers,

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 22, 2020 6:47 AM in response to John Sc

John Sc,

Thanks for coming back and letting us know what worked for you. We can't really speculate why power cycling the router and modem worked, but it is a fix we have seen before here at Apple Support Communities. Your friends should be just fine installing Big Sur if they choose. Just remind them to have a backup: Back up your Mac with Time Machine.

Cheers,

Nov 21, 2020 5:47 AM in response to John Sc

Hi John Sc,

Thanks for coming to Apple Support Communities for help today with your Big Sur upgrade and connecting to your Wi-Fi network. It sounds like it is still working with other computers and devices.

Have you restarted your router and modem yet?

Next check to see if Wi-FI works in a new user account for you: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac.

If it works in the new user, check your main user for malware using the Free Download of Malwarebytes.

Let us know how it goes.

Have a fantastic day!

Nov 22, 2020 6:38 AM in response to MichaelB2019

Michael

Thank you so much. That solved the problem. I have a cable modem, connected to a Time Capsule, and the latter provides my wifi. I switched both of them and my MacBook Air off, left them off for 15 minutes, and then switched them all on again. Lo and behold, the MacBook Air wifi now worked as it was supposed to.

Can you however answer this question? Why would switching the Modem off and on solve the problem? The wifi was still working on my MacMini, and on my wife's MacBook Pro. Why did I need to switch the modem off and on, in order to get the updated MacBook Air to work?

I'm asking that question because I have several friends who also have Macs, and they will be wondering whether it is safe to update to Big Sur. Could they encounter the same problem?

With best wishes, John

Big Sur - WirelessInternet drops or does not connect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.