You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Handoff/Continuity Not Working With Multiple Users

I have multiple users on my MacBook Pro, when the second user logs into the Mac handoff/continuity stop working all together. The only way to get it working again is to log out of iCloud on my Mac account and re-login, but this only lasts until the second user logs in again. Then from that point onwards it doesn't work at all, regardless of if that user is logged out, machine is restarted, etc etc.

Anyone else experienced this? Any solution?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 14, 2020 8:25 AM

6 replies

Nov 15, 2020 8:58 PM in response to MoNurk

MoNurk wrote:

I have multiple users on my MacBook Pro, when the second user logs into the Mac handoff/continuity stop working all together. The only way to get it working again is to log out of iCloud on my Mac account and re-login, but this only lasts until the second user logs in again. Then from that point onwards it doesn't work at all, regardless of if that user is logged out, machine is restarted, etc etc.

Anyone else experienced this? Any solution?

If user A does not log out when user B logs in, this is known as fast user switching.

Do you experience the same issue(s) when user A logs out before user B logs in? ie: not fast user switching.

Nov 15, 2020 4:17 AM in response to MoNurk

I have exactly the same issue, handoff and unlock with Apple Watch works until the second user logs into the Mac.

Log off and then log in my iCloud account fix the issue but once the second user log in, unlock with watch and handoff stop working.

My iPhone still receiving handoff from Mac, but Mac doesn’t receiving any IPhone activity.

I’ve tried several workaround found here none of them solved the issue.

Only log of / log in my iCloud account on Mac fix temporarily this issue, until the second user log his session.

Nov 16, 2020 1:14 AM in response to LACAllen

LACAllen wrote:

If user A does not log out when user B logs in, this is known as fast user switching.

Do you experience the same issue(s) when user A logs out before user B logs in? ie: not fast user switching.

I can't recall ever trying it that way, on my initial log out of my account (We mainly fast-switch between accounts). But once it stops working, logging out of my account completely doesn't restore the functionality.

I can try logging out of iCloud then logging back in to restore Handoff and then logging out of my Mac account, but I'm somehow doubtful it'll work :(

Handoff/Continuity Not Working With Multiple Users

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.