Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo Library Issue OS Catalina

I have an iPhoto file on an external drive with old photos that were not part of my current system Photo library. I wanted to pull these photos and put them into folders by year, so I opened the file, and I did just that. Fine and dandy. When I went to open the current Photos file on my system hard drive -- I got a prompt (that I honestly don't remember what it said) and I clicked OK. Now, all of my newer/current photos are gone.

I thought I had done something similar before without issue (i.e., opened an old "archive" photo file and then returned to current photos), but this time, the only file I can find contains a small number of photos from two years ago?? Did I delete or overwrite my current photos somehow? Is this a Catalina thing? I dragged my feet forever, and only recently upgraded to Catalina OS a few weeks ago (was using High Sierra).

Note: I do have a time machine back up from a year ago, on my external drive. I thought maybe I could at least pull that and access some of the in between photos that are gone, but the "restore" option is greyed out.

Any help would be appreciated.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Nov 14, 2020 8:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 1:36 PM

This locks like you restored the Photos.app from the backup and not your Photos Library.

The Photos application does not contain your photos , it just the program to manage them. You need to restore the Photos Library.photoslibrary from your backup. Usually the Photos Library will be kept in your Pictures folder, unless you move it somewhere else.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2020 1:36 PM in response to krebby07

This locks like you restored the Photos.app from the backup and not your Photos Library.

The Photos application does not contain your photos , it just the program to manage them. You need to restore the Photos Library.photoslibrary from your backup. Usually the Photos Library will be kept in your Pictures folder, unless you move it somewhere else.

Photo Library Issue OS Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.