Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail crashing in Big Sur

I have successfully installed Big Sur on my iMac but cannot open Preferences in Mail. The moment I click on Preferences, the "beach ball" comes up and hangs until I force quit the app. I have restarted the computer, closed Mail and reopened it...same thing. Anyone else having that problem?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 14, 2020 9:50 AM

Similar questions

20 replies

Nov 15, 2020 9:48 AM in response to BEC25

After installing Big Sur 11.0.1 - Apart from crashing randomly, all my flagged emails are gone respectively the flags... There were random emails visible under Flagged and after clicking on the flag colors all disappeared, now there is 0 flagged email...

In general, the system crashes also after some time without exactly knowing which program caused it.

Nov 19, 2020 5:24 PM in response to rolf290

All of a sudden Mail wouldn’t even open although it knew it had Mail.

Lost all my Mailboxes with all my emails.

Apple Support Senior Adviser spent over 1 hour with me. A real hero! She finally got my email back again in a very new looking email layout. Unfortunately can not retrieve all my mailboxes back with some very important receipts and records. Has been escalated to Apple Engineering so the can resolve the issue.

I have got time machine however the issue is complex so if I do back up it may not have the correct platform to land on.

This has to be Big Sur update. What a nightmare!! Trust Apple will resolve this very soon!

Dec 29, 2020 3:57 PM in response to BEC25

A solution I found on my end was to force quit "deleteMailCache" in Activity Monitor. My mail would refuse to open, display full screen, or show any windows. It was barely responsive and the mouse wouldn't work on it despite restart efforts. The problem wouldn't go away until I tried this. Hope it helps anyone looking for an alternate solution.

Jan 20, 2021 9:22 AM in response to Karll21

Same here - find my Mac Pro experience really testing ... bad enough that my screens show super annoying graphic bugs like buttons disappearing in Music.app but now my Mail.app is basically useless. It only works when i disable the exchange account. Deleting the Mail folder in the user profile helps for 1-10min. From then on it immediately crashes when startet again. Feel like quality control at Apple took a hard dive.

Mail crashing in Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.