Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't update Apps

I got a red badge on my App Store icon saying that I have 5 Updates in the App Store. So I tried to update the apps but got two error messages, one is:

1) could not assign applications to your account

2) cannot update app. App cannot be updated because it was refunded or purchased with a different Apple ID.

I tried the three Apple ID's that I have but none worked. The apps are GarageBand, Pages, Numbers, Keynote and iMovie.

Thanks for your help.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 14, 2020 1:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 4:20 PM

Hi. Yes, this solved my question. I upgraded four of the five apps. GarageBand could not be updated because it needs Big Sur. So now I will have a red badge with the number 1 every day on my desktop until I upgrade to Big Sur, which I don't like. Anyway, thank you for your help. :-)

5 replies

Nov 15, 2020 2:57 PM in response to RicMoli

Is this a new Mac? Have you accepted these apps into your account on the Purchases pane?

Why haven't you updated to the new macOS 11 Big Sur?

ASC - Late 2012 Mac mini, macOS 10.15.7; Watch, series 5 GPS/cellular, watchOS 7.1; iPad Pro 2nd Gen, iPadOS 14.2; iPad Air 2, iPadOS 14.2; iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14.2; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 14.2  HomePods, audioOS 14.2 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

Nov 15, 2020 6:21 PM in response to RicMoli

...Yes, this is a new Mac. (how did you know?) I just got it two days ago. It came with Catalina...

I knew because your problem is fairly common here, so I recognized the symptoms which happen with those particular apps a lot. If you check at the bottom of the forum, I've been here from the start and am the top all time participant. I started volunteering in this forum when the Mac App Store was just public beta software.

Thankfully you are off to a good start with a new Mac by explaining your problem thoroughly right off the bat so that you and I didn't have to play 20 questions. It's common to just get, "I can't update apps! Why!!!!"

I have the red 1 flag for GarageBand on the App Store app as well. My Late 2012 Mac mini is too old to run Big Sur. However, My new Apple Silicon Mac mini will be here this Tues or Wed and it will come with Big Sur preinstalled. Big Sur seems to be the first step towards a merger of macOS and iOS, my favorite iPhone and iPad apps will run on the new Apple Silicone Macs.

I've been saving for this upgrade to Apple Silicon since Tim Cook announced they were coming back in June. I also have a new Philips 4K UHD display for my new kit arriving at the same time.

Can't update Apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.