Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

login screen background on Big Sur

How can I change the login screen background on a Mac with Mac Os Big Sur?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 14, 2020 4:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2021 11:40 AM

Hello, Apple Community, Apple Customer Care and Product Design Team. :-)

1.Would you please allow Users to customised their products so everyone will be satisfied, females, males and others, of all ages from children across the elderly, all kind of professions, backgrounds and so on?

2.Why do you force Users to like something that you like?

I do like the monochromic backgrounds and the minimalistic look of every single wallpaper for example. Also, I do like to change them as much as I like easy, hassle-free.

3.Was this super bright, flashy graphic of Big Sur tasted with hundreds of Users? I do not think so. I do not like it. I am sorry for the author, but I am more sorry for myself and the dissatisfied Apple Community.

4.Is this that hard for Designers and Developers to implement by right 1 click divided into 3 screen options to change our pictures every single time as many times as we want?

Simple 1 Click divided to 3 clicks using Right Click. That's all.

This is so easy from the User Point Of View.

1. Change the picture of the start screen.
  2. Change the picture of the lock screen.
  3. Change the picture of the desktop.

5.User-Centred Design is called Apple. Have you forgotten what does it mean with every system update?

I am myself UX/UI Designer and Visual Graphic Designer and I do not fancy bright, flashy colours or empty, dry desserts. I like customised my backgrounds just like I would not buy this type of flashy, bright pattern on any dress or handbag or wallet, I do not want anything like that at my home and my computer.

6.Would not be this great as for example I want my starting, lock and desktop screen to be customised to my needs and moods as I want. Depends on my weekly goals for example.

7.Why should I even look for any kind of answers, to strategies the look, e.g. update folders, change security, do this, do that, to do so simple thing as to change all screens by one click divided into 3 options. So Easy User Flow and so happy Users.

8.Plus the Icon of the User at the start is not sharp as in the previous operating system. My Eagle has rough edges and pixels. I can see this with my naked eye.

I hope one day, there will be a competitor bigger than Apple, who will listen to Users. :) I might be 85 but I will celebrate this day!

Until then, I believe you will learn more about Users and your Clients, with every frustration every single time with operating system updates.

Would you please let me know when you fix this because truly I cannot stand this graphic?

I updated my Lock Screen and obviously Desktop Screen. Now time to just leave the computer on to never look at these flashy bright graphics or wait until Majesty Apple will finally ask and listen to Users and give them so simple option to easily update 3 screens: Start, Lock and Desktop.

Good Luck Product Team. I keep my fingers crossed for you, that there will be more empathy while updating systems and simple compassion to Users all kind of Users! That's why we Customisation. Isn't it?

If you need more User Testing to actually really customised product to Users, our needs want and like, I am here ready to give you all my User Experience Design free of charge. :)

Kind Regards,

Katarzyna

P.S.: Look at the Bright Side of Life but do not look too long on the bright graphics as might hurt your eyes. Save your Eyes for your Designs or whatever you do on a mac. :-)

57 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2021 11:40 AM in response to johnfromchetek

Hello, Apple Community, Apple Customer Care and Product Design Team. :-)

1.Would you please allow Users to customised their products so everyone will be satisfied, females, males and others, of all ages from children across the elderly, all kind of professions, backgrounds and so on?

2.Why do you force Users to like something that you like?

I do like the monochromic backgrounds and the minimalistic look of every single wallpaper for example. Also, I do like to change them as much as I like easy, hassle-free.

3.Was this super bright, flashy graphic of Big Sur tasted with hundreds of Users? I do not think so. I do not like it. I am sorry for the author, but I am more sorry for myself and the dissatisfied Apple Community.

4.Is this that hard for Designers and Developers to implement by right 1 click divided into 3 screen options to change our pictures every single time as many times as we want?

Simple 1 Click divided to 3 clicks using Right Click. That's all.

This is so easy from the User Point Of View.

1. Change the picture of the start screen.
  2. Change the picture of the lock screen.
  3. Change the picture of the desktop.

5.User-Centred Design is called Apple. Have you forgotten what does it mean with every system update?

I am myself UX/UI Designer and Visual Graphic Designer and I do not fancy bright, flashy colours or empty, dry desserts. I like customised my backgrounds just like I would not buy this type of flashy, bright pattern on any dress or handbag or wallet, I do not want anything like that at my home and my computer.

6.Would not be this great as for example I want my starting, lock and desktop screen to be customised to my needs and moods as I want. Depends on my weekly goals for example.

7.Why should I even look for any kind of answers, to strategies the look, e.g. update folders, change security, do this, do that, to do so simple thing as to change all screens by one click divided into 3 options. So Easy User Flow and so happy Users.

8.Plus the Icon of the User at the start is not sharp as in the previous operating system. My Eagle has rough edges and pixels. I can see this with my naked eye.

I hope one day, there will be a competitor bigger than Apple, who will listen to Users. :) I might be 85 but I will celebrate this day!

Until then, I believe you will learn more about Users and your Clients, with every frustration every single time with operating system updates.

Would you please let me know when you fix this because truly I cannot stand this graphic?

I updated my Lock Screen and obviously Desktop Screen. Now time to just leave the computer on to never look at these flashy bright graphics or wait until Majesty Apple will finally ask and listen to Users and give them so simple option to easily update 3 screens: Start, Lock and Desktop.

Good Luck Product Team. I keep my fingers crossed for you, that there will be more empathy while updating systems and simple compassion to Users all kind of Users! That's why we Customisation. Isn't it?

If you need more User Testing to actually really customised product to Users, our needs want and like, I am here ready to give you all my User Experience Design free of charge. :)

Kind Regards,

Katarzyna

P.S.: Look at the Bright Side of Life but do not look too long on the bright graphics as might hurt your eyes. Save your Eyes for your Designs or whatever you do on a mac. :-)

Mar 23, 2021 6:57 PM in response to johnfromchetek

johnfromchetek wrote:

Doing this may be at high risk

Make sure you backup your Mac.

1. Startup your mac while pressing Command and R
  2. Go to Utilities in the menu bar, and click Terminal
  3. In Terminal, Type the following command:
csrutil disable

Restart your Mac.

Launch Terminal and type the following command:

sudo mount -t apfs -wu /dev/disk1s5 /Volumes

Type this following command also:

sudo mount -wu /; killall Finder

Go to folder by pressing Shift, Comand G

type /System/Library/Desktop Pictures/

For macOS Catalina, rename Catalina.heic into Catalina.old.heic (Make sure you pick the correct one)

For macOS Big Sur, Rename Big Sur.heic if correct to Big Sur.old.heic

Select the picture you want to put.

Drag it into Finder

Rename it into Catalina.heic or Big Sur.heic if correct

Restart your mac.

Now the login screen backround has changed.

Turn on SIP back by restarting it while pressing Command R

Go to Utilities then Terminal.

Type this,

csrutil enable

then restart.

May 30, 2021 10:25 AM in response to Calvin_BT

Calvin_BT wrote:

johnfromchetek wrote:

Doing this may be at high risk
Make sure you backup your Mac1. .

Startup your mac while pressing Command and R
2. Go to Utilities in the menu bar, and click Terminal
3. In Terminal, Type the following command:
csrutil disable
Restart your Mac.
Launch Terminal and type the following command:
sudo mount -t apfs -wu /dev/disk1s5 /Volumes
Type this following command also:
sudo mount -wu /; killall Finder
Go to folder by pressing Shift, Comand G
type /System/Library/Desktop Pictures/
For macOS Catalina, rename Catalina.heic into Catalina.old.heic (Make sure you pick the correct one)
For macOS Big Sur, Rename Big Sur.heic if correct to Big Sur.old.heic
Select the picture you want to put.
Drag it into Finder
Rename it into Catalina.heic or Big Sur.heic if correct
Restart your mac.
Now the login screen backround has changed.
Turn on SIP back by restarting it while pressing Command R
Go to Utilities then Terminal.
Type this,
csrutil enable
then restart.

This worked from me on Catalina.

On Big Sur 11.4 (20F71) I get a permission error #99 at the command "sudo mount -wu /;". When I look at "/System/Library/Desktop Pictures/" I do not have permission to rename "Big Sur.heic", nor do I have permission to copy a new file to that folder. I tried both using the finder, and by using "sudo mv Big\ Sur.heic Big\ Sur.old.heic" (etc.) in the terminal.

Perhaps they locked this folder down even more in 11.4?

I have several systems, and I really need unique login screen images as a quick way to tell them apart when they boot up or are logged-out.

Feb 1, 2021 11:32 PM in response to johnfromchetek

Dear Apple,

can you please avoid trashing the lock screen AND background settings at EVERY update.

How can I put this nicely? I don't like your "colourful" "woke" backgrounds so once I set mine I want to keep it as it is.

BTW your update deleted MY image from MY computer which I paid with MY money, which in my terms is YOU deleting MY PERSONAL data.

Mar 3, 2021 12:08 PM in response to Sovlex

I have been trying to get this fixed since first big sur update. Spent countless time with Apple support and they said what I said to this group. All you can do is leave feedback. With enough complaints hopefully it will get attention by Apple to fix it. Every suggestion in these groups has not worked for me. So that is why I suggest the feedback option as recommended by an Apple support representative.

login screen background on Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.