Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use a Macbook without an Apple ID?

I have an old Macbook running El Capitan that works fine. I would like to give it to my sister to use but she is mentally challenged and creating an Apple ID, logging in, syncing devices, etc. would confuse her. If I remove my Apple ID from it, can she use it normally without getting prompts to enter her Apple ID, backup to iCloud, etc.? She can use a computer, but anything beyond basic tasks is beyond her ability.

MacBook Pro, OS X 10.11

Posted on Nov 14, 2020 4:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2020 12:22 PM

Hi Relztrah,

It sounds like you're trying to set up your Mac for your sister and we can help.

You can absolutely use your Mac without an Apple ID signed in. Some services like the ones you've described will not work, and you won't be able to install apps from the App Store, but this might be what you're interested in having set up.

We recommend following the steps here to get your Mac wiped to give away:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

You can skip past the steps for Apple ID during the Setup Assistant.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 22, 2020 12:22 PM in response to Relztrah

Hi Relztrah,

It sounds like you're trying to set up your Mac for your sister and we can help.

You can absolutely use your Mac without an Apple ID signed in. Some services like the ones you've described will not work, and you won't be able to install apps from the App Store, but this might be what you're interested in having set up.

We recommend following the steps here to get your Mac wiped to give away:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

You can skip past the steps for Apple ID during the Setup Assistant.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Can I use a Macbook without an Apple ID?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.