Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari stopped letting gmail use attachments

I use gmail through Safari. Quite suddenly, gmail won't attach files to email. Tried the suggested purges without effect. Switched to Chrome. No luck. Switched to Firefox, which allows the attachments. Restarted from cold. Any idea as to solution?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 14, 2020 4:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2020 7:04 AM

Hi again Johnro,

If you're unable to start in safe mode, ensure that any peripheral devices are physically disconnected from your Mac before testing again.

Before reinstalling macOS, we can also recommend checking to see if there's a software update for your device to the latest version of macOS.

If so, you'll want to back up your data before attempting to update. Here's a guide to help:

How to update the software on your Mac

Have a great day!

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2020 7:04 AM in response to Johnro

Hi again Johnro,

If you're unable to start in safe mode, ensure that any peripheral devices are physically disconnected from your Mac before testing again.

Before reinstalling macOS, we can also recommend checking to see if there's a software update for your device to the latest version of macOS.

If so, you'll want to back up your data before attempting to update. Here's a guide to help:

How to update the software on your Mac

Have a great day!

Nov 22, 2020 12:16 PM in response to Johnro

Hi Johnro,

We'll point you in the right direction for help with this issue attaching files to your email in Safari. We're glad to look into it with you.

So that we're on the same page, what's the exact behavior you're seeing? Are you noticing any specific error messages when attempting to attach a file?

You mentioned having completed several troubleshooting steps. Which steps did you complete exactly in Safari?

Let us know if the information in this guide helps:

Safari troubleshooting on Mac

We're here for you if you've got any questions.

Nov 22, 2020 2:55 PM in response to Johnro

Hi Johnro,

Thanks for the details. To ensure we understand correctly, is this also occurring when you use Google Chrome web browser?

Let's test if the issue persists in safe mode. This will help to isolate the issue further to some installed login item or cached data. This guide has the steps to start up in safe mode:

How to use safe mode on your Mac

If the issue doesn't occur in safe mode, you'll want to follow the steps in this guide to test your login items:

Remove login items to resolve startup problems on your Mac

Otherwise, if the issue continues to occur, the next step is to create a temporary new test user account to see if it's occurring system-wide. This guide can walk you through those steps to test in a new user:

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

If you find it's also occurring in a new user account, we can recommend reinstalling macOS at that point. First, be sure you've created a backup of your important data. This guide can help with that:

Back up your Mac with Time Machine

Once your data is safely backed up, you may follow these instructions to reinstall macOS:

How to reinstall macOS

We're here for you if you've got any questions!

Have a great day.

Nov 22, 2020 9:29 PM in response to SnickZ.

Attachments work fine on FireFox. I haven't tried Chrome. I did try the safe mode restart. It doesn't work. My MacBook Air usually takes about a minute to start up from cold. A restart in safe mode produced a gray line that seemed to finish after 2:20, but then nothing happened. I quit holding at 8:00, let it sit for another minute, then shut it down. I'll try a reinstall, then go back to FireFox if that doesn't work.

Safari stopped letting gmail use attachments

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.