Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot up time increased with Big Sur

I have an iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015:

Model Identifier: iMac17,1

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 24 GB

The boot up time with Catalina was about 15 seconds. I just upgraded to Big Sur. I've done about 4-5 startups since upgrading a little earlier. The boot up time has increased to about 45 seconds, by the time the desktop, dock, menu bar, and 6 desktop icons appear. Will this decrease after the new operating system "settles in"?

Posted on Nov 14, 2020 7:24 PM

7 replies

Dec 7, 2020 5:12 AM in response to jla930

Something I've noticed on a 2016 macBook Pro is that the progress bar restarts, thereby increasing start time. I thought at first that this might be some delay caused by start disk but that was not the case. I reset SMC and NVRAM and then noticed that my login screen wasn't of the colourful variety everyone is complaining about! I reinstalled Big Sur and that was corrected. i was hoping I would also see changes in startup but that was not the case. The 'double progress bar' was not there in Catalina.

Altogether not very happy with this new version. The laptop runs much hotter and this has stayed that way since Day 1. I don't particularly like the iOS look and generally everything feels a little slower.

Just hoping that the first big update improves matters.

Boot up time increased with Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.