Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No media browser in new version of Garageband.

I've just upgraded to Big Sur and upgraded to the latest version of Garageband. I love the new look and feel but noticed that the 'media button' that was in the top right hand corner is no more. I couldn't see any obvious ways to access my media. Is this a conscious decision by apple (access in no longer available to various media - Music, Film etc), a deliberate omission that will be rectified with future upgrades, or did someone just 'forget' and we're having an 'OOPS' moment? I hope that it returns as I teach music, and having the ability to edit commercial songs is part of my teaching programme. I will not presently upgrade all my classroom computers until I know what is happening. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Posted on Nov 14, 2020 7:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 7:27 AM

It looks like it were intentional. The GarageBand Help does no longer mention the Media Browser in the new GarageBand version. The GarageBand 10.4.1 Help now tells us to drag Media from the Finder into the Track Area. Import audio and MIDI files in GarageBand on Mac - Apple Support

To import an audio file from my Music Library I now have to do this:

• Open the Music.app
  • Find the song I want to use and select it.
  • Use the command "File > Show in Finder".
  • Then drag the revealed song into the GarageBand track

A bit involved, but I can use the Music.app to find songs that are not protected by DRM and to force a download from iCloud, before I try to use them.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2020 7:27 AM in response to Antonius1

It looks like it were intentional. The GarageBand Help does no longer mention the Media Browser in the new GarageBand version. The GarageBand 10.4.1 Help now tells us to drag Media from the Finder into the Track Area. Import audio and MIDI files in GarageBand on Mac - Apple Support

To import an audio file from my Music Library I now have to do this:

• Open the Music.app
  • Find the song I want to use and select it.
  • Use the command "File > Show in Finder".
  • Then drag the revealed song into the GarageBand track

A bit involved, but I can use the Music.app to find songs that are not protected by DRM and to force a download from iCloud, before I try to use them.

Nov 16, 2020 3:11 PM in response to léonie

Thanks for passing that along, but I have to say that's just made GarageBand clunky and useless for my purpose. I've been using GB to program a four hour radio show typically using over 100 tracks. Having to locate each individual track and drag it into GB is going to seriously increase the amount of time it takes to put together the show. That was why I switched from using Audacity to GarageBand. Using the media browser and working from a playlist in Music I could have the show done in 45 minutes or less. With Audacity it was taking 2.5 hours.

Any advice on how I can delete this update and reinstall the previous version?

Dec 20, 2020 2:59 AM in response to Antonius1

I am experiencing the same problem. I am not sure why Apple deliberately has deleted the "Media Button". Perhaps that you purchase Logic? Deleting this button is a problem....Seems that there are many issues with Big Sur. I can't even access my media under TB2 on the New Mac mini. So frustrating. All should have had become easier....well....Not the case.

Dec 20, 2020 5:22 PM in response to Roser27

I made a video showing how I do it but it seems I can’t paste it here so I’ll try a more detailed description. Using Music, I create a playlist of all the songs, etc I plan to use on a radio show. Open the playlist and drag the Music window to the right so it’s only taking up half the screen. Open Garage Band and create a new project. Shrink the Garage Band window so it only takes up the left half of the screen. Go back to Music playlist, click and hold the song or announcement I want and drag and drop it into the tracks window in Garage Band. Move the play head to the end of the track, go back to Music and drag the next track into place. Repeat until all tracks are in place.

I’ve done nine shows this way and in about the same amount of time as when I had the Media Browser. It’s something of a pain to have to have two programs open but at least I can get a show done.

No media browser in new version of Garageband.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.