Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Select default phone number in IOS 14

I want to set the primary phone number for contacts that have more than one number. How to do this in IOS 14? I have iPhone 12 Pro Max (this system does not have the 12 model line yet)

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Nov 14, 2020 7:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2021 7:02 AM

This doesn’t work, it only shows ‘copy’ option when you press and hold.

Many users have expressed same problem and I am surprised how this defect is still unresolved by Apple.

Please review these screenshots and provide a patch asap on this.

14 replies

Jan 28, 2021 1:08 PM in response to gantte

I have the exact same problem; holding the number only reveals the "copy" option.

Sooo many bugs since January 2021, unresolved after following all instructions from tech support. New iPhone SE, calendars still don't sync, icloud backs up things I told it not to back up, notifications only work sometimes, calendar alerts disappear from lock screen, text language keeps defaulting to French (apparently an old bug but one I didn't have until January 2021), phone not automatically connecting to default WiFi, and no solutions, but oohh, new "memojis!" Grr.

I am grateful to Apple for protecting me from the evils of fecebook (spelling intentional) and other security horrors, but I'd like a phone that is still, you know, a phone.

Each support session costs me a minimum of 50 minutes only to have the issue unresolved, and that's after searching online for solutions and following all recommendations to no avail. Instead the updates keep making things unnecessarily more complicated. Suddenly we can't even delete an app without re-learning their weird new way of doing it.

This may sound like just venting, and I know bugs happen, but, how much is your time worth?

Anyway, everybody stay healthy. That's really thing #1.

Apr 25, 2021 9:17 AM in response to gantte

Open the contact and copy the number you don’t want as default. For safety, paste it to notes, but it should remain on the clipboard until you copy something else.

Edit the contact and delete the number you just copied.

Add a new phone number.

Paste the number you just copied.

Click Done.

The other number should now be the default number.

Nov 22, 2020 1:33 PM in response to gantte

Hi gantte,

Thanks for coming to Apple Support Communities for help today setting a default number for your Contact in iOS 14.

Check out this section in the iPhone User Guide: Add and use contact information on iPhone.

"To change the default phone number or email address for a contact method, touch and hold the button for that method below the contact’s name, then tap a selection in the list."

Have a fantastic day!

Select default phone number in IOS 14

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.