You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootable Big Sur installer

Can you help why im getting error while creating bootable usb for Big Sur? Here’s the terminal prompt. Thanks ...

Last login: Sun Nov 15 12:50:59 on console

macintosh@Nelsons-MacBook-Pro ~ % sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled -- /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app

Password:

Ready to start.

To continue we need to erase the volume at /Volumes/Untitled.

If you wish to continue type (Y) then press return: y

Erasing disk: 0%... 10%... 20%... 30%... 100%

Copying to disk: 0%... 10%... 20%... 30%... 40%... 50%... 60%... 70%... 80%... 90%... 100%

Making disk bootable...

2020-11-15 13:45:16.800 createinstallmedia[659:8060] There was an error parsing the Info.plist for the bundle at URL <0x7fcf9443da70>: NSCocoaErrorDomain - 3840

Couldn't mount dmg /Volumes/Install macOS Big Sur/Install macOS Big Sur.app/Contents/SharedSupport/SharedSupport.dmg (error code 110)Couldn't find InstallInfo.plist

The bless of the installer disk failed.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 14, 2020 10:46 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 10:27 PM

I was experiencing hardware issue all along hence i was not able to create bootable media for Big Sur. All my installer downloads were ok after all, good i kept them. Just updated to Big Sur successfully using bootable usb🤓 just to note, both macs cant download Big Sur installer using regular connection up to now. I was able to download the installers with vpn switched on. Thank you for all your input

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 15, 2020 10:27 PM in response to Sonbl

I was experiencing hardware issue all along hence i was not able to create bootable media for Big Sur. All my installer downloads were ok after all, good i kept them. Just updated to Big Sur successfully using bootable usb🤓 just to note, both macs cant download Big Sur installer using regular connection up to now. I was able to download the installers with vpn switched on. Thank you for all your input

Nov 15, 2020 5:06 PM in response to Sonbl

Initially i used the command line to create boot disk and it was a success. But during installation, error message saying installer is damage / corrupted and could not proceed.

I got frustrated and restore my 2014 iMac using Internet Recovery ( https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904 ) to Yosemite then in Yosemite i download Big Sur installer using Apps Store and successfully upgraded.

Been doing clean install of Mac OS since 2015 and this is the first time I am facing this issue.

Nov 15, 2020 12:08 AM in response to dialabrain

Hello im still having an error aftr removing what you told me to do. It says there was an error parsing and ot cant mount dmg etc. Pls refer to terminal prompt below. Is there any other workaround? Im using a 64gb usb. Thanks

Last login: Sun Nov 15 12:54:04 on ttys000

macintosh@Nelsons-MacBook-Pro ~ % sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled

Password:

Ready to start.

To continue we need to erase the volume at /Volumes/Untitled.

If you wish to continue type (Y) then press return: y

Erasing disk: 0%... 10%... 20%... 30%... 100%

Copying to disk: 0%... 10%... 20%... 30%... 40%... 50%... 60%... 70%... 80%... 90%... 100%

Making disk bootable...

2020-11-15 15:59:45.932 createinstallmedia[1214:51705] There was an error parsing the Info.plist for the bundle at URL <0x7f9380ce1d10>: NSCocoaErrorDomain - 3840

Couldn't mount dmg /Volumes/Install macOS Big Sur/Install macOS Big Sur.app/Contents/SharedSupport/SharedSupport.dmg (error code 110)Couldn't find InstallInfo.plist

The bless of the installer disk failed.

macintosh@Nelsons-MacBook-Pro ~ % 

Nov 15, 2020 1:14 AM in response to Nee Kun

Thank you. I used that free app on my catalina installer. Very fast and simple to use. Hope they develop one for Big Sur. In the meantime im trying to create one using terminal for big sur but i keep on getting an error as shown on my earlier post. Dont know if this is a package issue or a hardware problem. Appreciate any help i can get

Nov 15, 2020 1:21 AM in response to Sonbl

I successfully used that shorter command below. I always first erase the flash drive with Disk Utility as Mac OS Extended (Journaled), GUID and leave the default name "Untitled". Try to re-download the installer.

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled

I did have some trouble Option-booting the flash drive. First it updated the Firmware (which FINALLY fixed sleep crash that has plagued Mac mini 2018 since last March firmwares!). Then it re-booted a two times to the internal Mojave and I was prepared to set the flash drive in the Startup Disk when it suddenly successfully Option-booted into the Big Sur installer. Maybe some temporary glitch in the PRAM.

Nov 15, 2020 1:45 AM in response to Eau Rouge

I was suspecting that. I tried to download 4 separate times by doing what you just posted. All 4 installers could be corrupted. Curriously if i download without a vpn, i get an error always. If i download with the vpn connected i always get the installer. Perhaps the apple server is still overloaded. Checked their site but it says there is no problem on the update server. Strange

Bootable Big Sur installer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.