Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Youtube videos stuttering in safari after update

Hey,

I installed the software update (OS Big Sur) yesterday. Since then, when I try to play videos in safari, they stutter extremely. The sound continues playing but the video itself does not run smooth at all. I have noticed this on youtube videos but also on Netflix.

When I play the same video in chrome, it works fine.

I have uninstalled an adblocker, erased all history and cookies and also found somewhere that you need to disable VP9 decoder, but none of that has worked.

I am now using chrome because this is extremely annoying. Does anyone have a solution for this problem?

Thank you :)

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 12:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2020 1:59 AM

You'll have to go to Safari settings (cmd+,), then to Privacy and go to manage website data. There you'll have to delete all of the cookies. Do a complete restart of the Mac, once you'll back go to Safari, go to settings again and go the last tab in settings on the right, you'll see a possibility to show "Developer" menu in Safari. Click on it and in the new menu entry in Safari you'll select VP9 decoder & VP9 SW decoder on battery. Select both of them. Start Youtube and everything should work fine 👌🏻

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2020 1:59 AM in response to shriavi

You'll have to go to Safari settings (cmd+,), then to Privacy and go to manage website data. There you'll have to delete all of the cookies. Do a complete restart of the Mac, once you'll back go to Safari, go to settings again and go the last tab in settings on the right, you'll see a possibility to show "Developer" menu in Safari. Click on it and in the new menu entry in Safari you'll select VP9 decoder & VP9 SW decoder on battery. Select both of them. Start Youtube and everything should work fine 👌🏻

Youtube videos stuttering in safari after update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.