Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur problem with iMovie

Folks, I have installed (w/o problems) Big Sur 11.0.1 but I discovered that I have problem with iMovies (10.2.1) ... does'y work ... I cannot open it .. the system is not working .. Any idea how I can solve this ?

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 2:42 AM

23 replies

Dec 10, 2020 11:52 AM in response to bmwk1200

Hi Rich

My environment:

A) MacBookPro 2015 OS BigSure 11.x iMovie 10.2.1

B) MacBook Air 2013 OS Catalina 10.x

Task: I'd like to import Mini DV from a SONY Handycam DCR PC-330 PAL

Problem:

• It doesn't work with BigSure
  • It works with Catalina but MacBookAir is not enough powerful to handle Video staff. I would prefer my MacBookPro........

In advance many thanks and best regards from Zurich

Arthur

Dec 15, 2020 11:18 AM in response to Rich839

I appear to have the same or similar problem as Artamaa (above) with importing my mini-DV tapes into iMovie (10.2.2) using Big Sur (11.0.1 and now 11.1). Big Sur 11.1 was just released and I installed it this morning, but I still cannot import video or even control my mini-DV cameras using the iMovie import window. My camera shows up in the window but the buttons are either greyed out or in the case of the Import button - clicking on it does not effect any response by iMovie. My camera does not show up in the Image Capture app.

Setup (I've tried two different Mini-DV cameras):

Canon ZR10 Mini-DV

Sony HandyCam DCR-HC52

Cables: Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire (800) adapter cable --> Monoprice 9 PIN/ 4PIN BILINGUAL FireWire 800 - FireWire 400 Cable, 6FT --> camera (In addition to the Monoprice cable, I also tried the same type of cable in a different brand - Tripp-Lite - from Amazon)

I have tried restarting iMovie, restarting the Mac, etc. to no avail...

Dec 10, 2020 12:04 PM in response to Artamaa

When you say that the import doesn't work with Big Sur, what happens when you try?

I think that the easiest way around this is to import your mini DV files to the desktop on your MacBook Air. The Image Capture app on your Mac should work to do this. Use a thumbdrive or other external drive to transfer the files to your MacBookPro. Then you can import them into iMovie on the MacBookPro and edit them there.

If you have already imported the files into iMovie on your MacBook Air, you can select the files in the iMovie project or event and do a File/Reveal in Finder and copy (not move) the files to your desktop from the Original Media folder that pops up.

-- Rich

Dec 10, 2020 1:41 PM in response to Rich839

Of course Rich, I tried many many options included tests with Quick Time, FinalCut, LifeFix DV Importer. And also with camera running as you proposed. I invested hours and hours and also talking with Video- and/or Mac Professionals. Without results. I guess it's a problem of Big Sure but I'm not intended to downgrade my MB-Pro from BigSur to Catalina. Shall I wait for a new version of iMovie?

Arthur

Jan 8, 2021 4:01 AM in response to NCRyno23

We have also had issues importing Sony DV tapes into iMovie. During lockdown, I have been editing Mini DV tapes from some years back that I never got round to before. Previously I imported them to a PC using Firewire and Sony Vegas software but since then I have switched to an iMac running Catalina and more recently Big Sur. I know you can get a FireWire adapter, but we have also got a DVD writer which we use with our TV so we used the AV input on that to import the tapes on to the DVD writer hard drive and then write them to BluRay (or you can use ordinary DVDs). Using a caddy, I can open the DVDs on the Mac and copy the VOB files (DVDs) or m2ts files (BluRay). They are rather large files and can cause iMovie to run slow, so I convert them to mp4 files using open source software called HandBrake which does the job brilliantly. As iMovie files are saved in mp4 format anyway, I find it makes sense to do that anyway.

Feb 12, 2021 9:31 AM in response to marites210

My current version of iMovie is 10.2.2 and it was fine after I updated to Big Sur. However, an IOS software update installed last night and I couldn't open iMovie today - it looked as if it was open as there was a dot under the icon in the dock but the window would not open. I did Force Quit but that didn't help. Eventually I rebooted my Mac and iMovie eventually opened but the media clip I was working on had disappeared from the Library Pane, even though the part edited movie was still there in the Project Pane!

Big Sur problem with iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.