Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RAM for 2020 iMac 27"

Just ordered a 2020 27" iMac and looking to buy more RAM(32) so I will have a total of 40 RAM. I'm don't no a lot about computers that why I have always bought Apple. Looking on line and so many different venders and Brands of RAM. What recommendations would you have for me. Thank You in advance !!

iMac, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 6:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 8:35 AM

Keith is correct. I bought a 2020 27" iMac and did the same thing you are considering. Using high quality RAM (OWC is what I bought too) is extremely wise. Also, what is important on the 2020's is the configuration you install it in. Put the original RAM in slots 1 & 2 (the top 2 slots) and the new OWC RAM in slots 3 & 4. Why, because doing it this way ensures the RAM runs at the speed it is rated at. Here are photos of my installation, please note the slots the RAM was installed in and the speed it yielded:

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2020 8:35 AM in response to Fireman198

Keith is correct. I bought a 2020 27" iMac and did the same thing you are considering. Using high quality RAM (OWC is what I bought too) is extremely wise. Also, what is important on the 2020's is the configuration you install it in. Put the original RAM in slots 1 & 2 (the top 2 slots) and the new OWC RAM in slots 3 & 4. Why, because doing it this way ensures the RAM runs at the speed it is rated at. Here are photos of my installation, please note the slots the RAM was installed in and the speed it yielded:

RAM for 2020 iMac 27"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.