Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Software Update Required to Connect to iPhone. Is this an update to Catalina or Big Sur?

Good day. I am running Catalina 10.15.7 on a Mac mini and have an iPhone 11 running 14.2. When I connect, I am getting the prompt to run a software update. Is this update trying to get me to install Big Sur, or is this an update to Catalina?

My Mac Mini is also my Final Cut Pro edit system. I am not going to install Big Sur yet, until we've had a couple of OS 11 updates and I'm sure FCP is running with no issues. I just want to make sure I'm not installing Big Sur.

iPhone 11

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 9:08 AM

3 replies

Nov 15, 2020 11:24 AM in response to Lawrence of Berkley

Lawrence of Berkley wrote:

Good day. I am running Catalina 10.15.7 on a Mac mini and have an iPhone 11 running 14.2. When I connect, I am getting the prompt to run a software update. Is this update trying to get me to install Big Sur, or is this an update to Catalina?

My Mac Mini is also my Final Cut Pro edit system. I am not going to install Big Sur yet, until we've had a couple of OS 11 updates and I'm sure FCP is running with no issues. I just want to make sure I'm not installing Big Sur.

If you see "Software update is required to connect to your iOS device" on your iPhone

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208831

Software Update Required to Connect to iPhone. Is this an update to Catalina or Big Sur?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.