Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages Threads "Info" Photos and Attachments Not Showing Up On iOS 14.2

Two days ago I upgraded to the iPhone 12 Pro Max from my iPhone 11 Pro Max. I upgraded the new phone to iOS 14.2 to match the version of my final Finder backup of my old phone and promptly restored it from the aforementioned Finder backup.

Everything looked fine except when pressing "Info" on a Messages thread — the aggregated Photos and Attachments are not showing up for any thread except ones which have received a new Photo or Attachment since I began using the new phone. The content for every thread is still there if I simply scroll backward in time and look for them manually. Additionally, I can see through "iPhone Storage" in Settings that the Messages data (many gigabytes) is still there and not missing.

iCloud for Messaging is disabled in Settings as I have always had it.

Things I have tried:

• Restarting my iPhone

• Waiting 24-48 hours

• Turning "iMessage" off and back on in Messages Settings

• The above followed by a restart

• Turning "Show App In Search" and "Show Content In Search" off and back on in "Settings > Siri & Search > Messages"

• The above followed by a restart

Although a minor issue, it is still frustrating and would appreciate any advice, thanks.

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 9:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2020 12:09 PM

UPDATE: After an additional 48 hours of waiting for the nebulous "Indexing" to complete, all the message thread photos and attachments showed up as expected. Would be helpful if there were clear indicators from Apple when migrating devices of the progress of these things, especially for large backups.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2020 12:09 PM in response to Matthewwtaylor

UPDATE: After an additional 48 hours of waiting for the nebulous "Indexing" to complete, all the message thread photos and attachments showed up as expected. Would be helpful if there were clear indicators from Apple when migrating devices of the progress of these things, especially for large backups.

Nov 23, 2020 11:10 AM in response to Matthewwtaylor

Hey there Matthewwtaylor,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities, and congratulations on getting a new iPhone 12 Pro Max! As we understand it, you're not seeing your attachments or photos after restoring from a backup!

To verify, you've never used Messages in iCloud; is that right?

Have you checked out the "About your Messages and Voice Memos data" section of this link yet? About missing information after you restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iCloud Backup

Has your iPhone been connected to Wi-Fi and power? This may help also!

Take care.

Messages Threads "Info" Photos and Attachments Not Showing Up On iOS 14.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.