Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mouse lag Big Sur

Using the mouse by simply scrubbing on the dock slows the entire system and apps open in the background. It persists through any app slowing any and everything down even wired or with the included dongle (Razer Mamba Wireless)

However if I use my trackpad the system is perfect without issue. There's some sort of compatibility/connection issue with peripherals on the whole. If any advisor reads this, any feedback on future fixes or updates would be appreciated, cheers.

If it persists too long I'd have no choice but to downgrade to Catalina as it was perfect initially there.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 6:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2020 4:13 AM

Hey guys! So I’ve found a quick fix for those who’re using mice which has special software managers. This in turn manipulates the frequencies that Big Sur negates. Long story short, the system lags when it’s trying to process the polling rate above 125Hz of the mouse we’re using. So to fix this you’re going to have to download the manager for that mouse you’re using(for eg. Synapse 3 for Razer, iCue for Corsair, G hub for Logitech, etc). Once you have this downloaded. Go to the “polling rate” tab and switch it to 125Hz.. Done! You’re good to go. Hope this helps!

54 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2020 4:13 AM in response to yvesclv

Hey guys! So I’ve found a quick fix for those who’re using mice which has special software managers. This in turn manipulates the frequencies that Big Sur negates. Long story short, the system lags when it’s trying to process the polling rate above 125Hz of the mouse we’re using. So to fix this you’re going to have to download the manager for that mouse you’re using(for eg. Synapse 3 for Razer, iCue for Corsair, G hub for Logitech, etc). Once you have this downloaded. Go to the “polling rate” tab and switch it to 125Hz.. Done! You’re good to go. Hope this helps!

Nov 23, 2020 11:56 AM in response to yvesclv

This worked great, Yvesclv! Big difference for me in terms of lag. Checking Activity Monitor, WindowServer also went significantly down after making the changes. It went from 85% to about 18-30% CPU usage.

For others with the same issue:

If you are like me and having a hard time finding the Hz settings on the G502 or any other that uses the G HUB, here's a screenshot of where that is set.

Nov 16, 2020 1:07 PM in response to yvesclv

I have the same issue with my 13" MacBook Pro. After upgrading to Big Sur, everything works fine except mouse lag. It only occurs with wired mice as the trackpad, Magic Touchpad, and my wireless Logitech Trackball mouse work perfectly fine. Will make due until it's fixed, but still concerning to not be able to easily use a wired mouse for docked work.

Nov 17, 2020 9:45 PM in response to yvesclv

Please apple fix this it lags out my games and doc its really annoying. My trackpad moves on my doc fine, my bluetooth mouse works fine, but this razer mamba elite with a dongle makes my doc scrubbing and minecraft gameplay very laggy even if trackpad is fine. Please please please fix this. This is so annoying and I hate big sur until this is fixed. Reply to this when it is fixed.

Nov 18, 2020 7:54 AM in response to yvesclv

After getting my reply video up, I read the comments on yvesclv's video and one of the commenters mentioned that the reason wired mice are causing issues with Big Sur is because their Polling Rate (or how many times the mouse reports its position back to the Mac/PC) is too high. Higher polling rates are great for PC gaming, but Big Sur seems to be liking the "classic" value of 125Hz.

I'm using a Logitech G502 wired mouse and using the G HUB application, I was able to see my mouse's polling rate was at 1000 (!!!) and was able to drop it down to 125. The lag went away! Depending on your make and model of mouse, check to see if there's MacOS software you can download to change the polling rate (and if there's only Windows software, download the software to a Windows machine temporarily and save the settings to the mouse directly, so it's remembered when reconnected to your Mac).

Hopefully, this temporary workaround helps you out until Apple pushes out a true fix!

Nov 18, 2020 11:52 AM in response to sathvik224

I’m in the same boat brother. Razer doesn’t have their Synapse software optimized for Mac. You can try plugging your Razer mouse into a friend’s PC and downloading Synapse 3, configure it on that (drop it to 120Hz) and the config will save to the mouse. You then connect back to your Mac with those settings and you can shuffle between the different modes with the button underneath your mouse. Hope that helps!

Nov 20, 2020 6:28 AM in response to yvesclv

Big Sur Bluetooth Probs.

i got a brandnew M1 Apple mini and it can’t connect to my 3rd party Bluetooth keyboard anymore...

Audiacity is not working with ROSETTA, which is slowing anyway and will not support all your software!

Have to upgrade licenses for little snitch 5, so I can’t use Ver.4 for old my probook anymore....

what’s the big from Sur?

Nov 23, 2020 5:50 PM in response to yvesclv

I have a Logitech 810-004457 MX Master mouse hooked up to a 16" Macbook Pro with Big Sur. I'm also running 2x LG Superfine 4k monitors. I see some people in other messages reporting it could be related to the video card in this laptop.

Anyway, in the LogiOptions app, I don't see anywhere to adjust the polling rate. Can somebody point me in the right direction? Ever since updating to Big Sur, the mouse lag went from a couple times a week to multiple times an hour. I'd love to find a solution.

Nov 24, 2020 8:07 PM in response to yvesclv

I'm also experiencing this issue with my Logitech G203 wired USB mouse, running through my monitor's USB hub on a 13" MacBook Pro 2015 model. Changing the polling (report) rate using Logitech G Hub helps a lot but doesn't totally eliminate the problem.

For what it's worth, when I plug the same setup into a 2020 MacBook Pro running Catalina, I do not experience this issue.

Very annoying!

Nov 25, 2020 2:25 AM in response to cliffpro

I tried doing this since Razer Synapse 2.0 does not recognise my mouse anymore on Big Sur. Anyway I hopped across to my windows install with synapse 3.0 and saved the 125Hz setting to the mouse but it doesn't seem to have worked for me. Still get mass lag when I move the mouse while playing games. WoW went from running great on my 16" to completely unplayable:(

Nov 26, 2020 9:59 AM in response to yvesclv

I had this issue also, magic mouse lag but track pad worked fine

I seen a post that that appears to help or may have solved my issue

press and hold ( Option and Shift keys ) select Bluetooth symbol on top of mac

then select ( reset Bluetooth module ) and reset

Definitely better hope it keeps working

Mouse lag Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.