Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur update display problems

I just did the Big Sur update and my display suddenly has then colored lines dancing across the screen. I have 2018 MacBook Pro. I did the NVRAM & SMC resets but it did not fix the issue. Apple support told me it may be a hardware issue, however, it started immediately after the update.

When I mirrored my display to the tv, the tv image was fine, but the thin lines are still on my MacBook.

Please help with any suggestions!

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 7:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 7:38 PM

I also have a 2018 MacBook Pro and have the same issue on the left side of the screen. Faint colored lines from top to bottom about 1.5 inches wide. No issues prior to upgrade. If I mirror the display there are no issues.

Similar questions

7 replies

Nov 15, 2020 7:44 PM in response to CJSK

Welcome, CJSK, to Apple Support Communities!

Since mirroring your display doesn’t “mirror” the “colored lines”, it sure sounds like a hardware issue, more particularly associated with your builtin display.

(We, here, might have recommended a screenshot or screen-video, for a similar sort of check for software vs. hardware issue. It’s really a very similar check.)

Significant changes in “load”, upon the hardware, can trigger “latent”, “borderline” hardware issues to manifest.

I would recommend taking it in for a one-on-one, face-to-face with an Apple hardware tech, or the closest thing you can get at a nearby Apple store or Apple Authorized Service Provider.

See what they say, and go from there.

Nov 15, 2020 8:10 PM in response to CJSK

Unfortunately, CJSK, even if you hadn’t installed this update, something else would have triggered this issue. Eventually.

I’m sorry to say, but it was simply a borderline failure waiting to happen.

Software cannot break healthy hardware.

This software was already tested on all hardware systems Apple has stated are compatible with Big Sur.

Perhaps an analogy may help:

Your car, that can tow a certain weight trailer, seems to be functioning just fine, but you haven’t been using it to tow such a trailer.

Then, one day, you decide to take a trip towing such a trailer.

Would the trailer truly be to blame if something breaks down, on your car, now towing the trailer?

Dec 2, 2020 12:11 AM in response to Sdeveaux

It’s a $647 repair. Something to do with the display cable. Very disappointing considering this laptop is two years old. I’m sorry to hear that your display has the same issue and it happened at the exact moment you updated to Big Sur. I hooked up an old monitor and just mirrored my display to get through it. Although with new update, it only lists two display options and you now need to dig some to utilize sidecar or find any other mirroring options.

Big Sur update display problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.